Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using A Network Switch Without A Router

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 godzilla15

godzilla15

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:14 PM

I am trying to set up a wired network so that I can connect two computers in my home to the internet at the same time. I went to Circuit City to buy a router and the salesman recommended the Netgear Fs605 ethernet switch. I bought it and the instructions show that it needs a router to work. I have tried setting it up without a router but when I do that only one computer connects to the internet at a time. To switch between computers I have to restart the computer without internet access and restart my modem at the same time. Is their any way to get both computers internet access using only a switch, or should I return the switch and buy a router? If so what is a good, cheap, and fast router?
The modem I am using is a RCA DHG535.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:58 PM

I'm beginning to loathe Best Buy and Circuit City sales people more than car sales people
Return the switch for either a D Link, Netgear, or Linksys router
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 godzilla15

godzilla15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:10 PM

so just to clarify you are saying that their is no way to get the switch to work without a router?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:18 PM

Not to do what you want
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 godzilla15

godzilla15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2008 - 01:27 AM

thanks for the help i will buy a router.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 18 June 2008 - 01:28 AM

You could make a peer-to-peer connection using a crossover cable and utilizing Internet Connection Sharing for network.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users