Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Graphics Card Overheating

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 16 June 2008 - 05:29 PM

I just recently got an ATI HD 3870, and it runs great, except I think it might be overheating. It runs great for a while, but when I play more modern games such as Race Driver Grid, it starts freezing up as the gpu temperature gets around 80C+. The card is a visiontek 3870 OC edition, but they only OC'ed the core about 25mhz and the memory 25mhz (50mhz DDR). It also has a dual slot cooler. Now I was wondering since this is my first dual slot cooler card, shouldn't it be blowing air out? It seems like its taking in air. I have a PCI slot fan next to it, and I can really feel it blow out air, but then when I go to feel the air from my graphics card, there's nothing blowing out, but it does kind of have a cooler feeling almost like its taking in air. The fan is spinning though, but I can't really tell where the air is going.

My old graphics card was getting pretty hot too, so I'm starting to think I have bad case airflow. I have an Apevia X-Cruiser case which has two 80mm case fans. One on the top, and one in the back. I have it set up so the back fan is intake so it blows cool air over my cpu fan, because my cpu fan blows downwards. Then I have the top one blowing out because heat rises. Is this bad? Should I have the back blowing out? Most computers I've seen, the back blows out, but I figure this is because this is usually the only fan in the case.

I also was thinking about, what if I took my graphics card fan off, and cleaned off the old thermal paste, and put new on? I remember taking the fan off an older graphics card, and the thermal paste job on the gpu was just horrible looking.

Thanks for the help!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:15 PM

Hi Sterling, what are the other temperatures of the CPU ect. are they running hot as well? Is your PC in a well ventilated area? I think it may be the card itself running hot.
MCP
MSDST

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:29 PM

thanks for the reply!

Ya, I think it might just be a graphics card problem too. I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 OC'ed to 2.8ghz from 2.0ghz stock. It usually idles around the high 30's low 40's, and under load it goes up to maybe 65 max. I have a nvidia chipset motherboard, and use to use nvidia monitor to check these temperatures, but for some reason it just doesn't work anymore. These temperatures are from my bios screen after a reset. The graphics card temperature is from ATI Tray Tool, and Rivatuner.

I'm thinking about putting thermal paste on my gpu see if that will help. I was looking around on google and a lot of people are saying it helps.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:50 PM

Thermal paste I don't think could hurt. You could also buy another 80-120mm fan and stick it somewhere close to the GPU. If you have a bunch of spare PCI slots open I think you could slap on a 120mm fan and that should help out. 120mm fans usually don't make much noise at all either unlike those 60mm and smaller.

I'd suggest the upper one since it's pretty cost effective and is cheaper from buying a aftermarket GPU cooler.

Edited by protozero, 17 June 2008 - 09:51 PM.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users