Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Back Up And Pictures

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 triplettcl

triplettcl

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 16 June 2008 - 04:47 PM

Hi, I have a pretty basic question. What is the best way to back up your computer files? I used to use floppy disks and I am confused as to how to do it now. I have some CD-RW which I saved my files on. Now it has been some months and I need to do it again. It says that the files are read only and I can't do anything with them. I would like to either replace them with the updated folders, or delete what is on the CD and start over or do whatever is the best and easiest way of backing up. I have always kept our family pictures on my computer but I am wondering if they are taking lots of space? My friend uses wink flash so I am thinking of transferring my pictures to that website but would like to back up my computer first. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you, Cheryl

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 16 June 2008 - 05:36 PM

Hello Cheryl,

When you backup files on to a CD they become read only which means you can't make any changes to them. If you need to make changes to a file you must copy the file of the CD and then make changes to it unfortunately you will then need to make a new CD or use a CD-RW. My prefered method of backing up would be to use an external hard drive and store my files on it. It is so much easier than CDs, more reliable, and not prone to much damage.

If you want to know the size of the pictures you can right click on 'my pictures' folder and select properties it will then calculate the disk space used by that folder.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 triplettcl

triplettcl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 16 June 2008 - 05:53 PM

Would that be something like a flash drive?
Cheryl

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:08 PM

An external hard drive plugs into a USB port but has a much higher capacity than a flash drive. They are used mainly for file storage....Back-ups to an external drive will ensure that you have exact copies of the files or programs and are much less likely to become lost or corrupt. CD's are an option but as was stated they can be easily damaged.

Most stores like BestBuy, Staples, CompUSA, and even Wal-Mart carry externals at a very reasonable price.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users