Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lsa Shell (export Version) Encountered A Problem...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jinxE

jinxE

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 16 June 2008 - 04:34 PM

The computer is a Gateway GT4016 desktop, AMD Athlon 64 processor, 894 RAM, with XP Media Edition SP2.

Upon bootup SOMETIMES but not EVERY time, I get the error message:

"LSA Shell (Export Version) encountered a problem and needed to close." (date/time)

Then it asks if I want to send an error report. I click "Don't Send" then move on.

Whether I receive the above message or not, the computer runs slowly, with brief moments of running at normal speed. It makes a repetitive working noise once I ask it to do something (click on an icon or open something).

I followed the instructions on this site for "It May Not Be Malware." And at the moment the machine in question is either taking a very long time or hanging on CHDSK (it's about 3/4 of the way through and it says "Phase 4). I'm waiting to see if it finishes. I'm currently using a laptop to type this.

Upon connecting to the internet, the following error mss. occurs:

"NT Authority System Shutdown"
"C:\WINDOWS\System32\lsass.ese"
"LSA Shell (Export Version) status code: 1073741818"
then it counts down from 60 and shuts down the computer.

I've run the following (via downloading onto my laptop, then trasferring over by CD to the problem machine):

Defrag
Registry Booster2
CCleaner
Spy Sweeper
IObit Defrag
Ad Aware 2007
Spybot
AVG Anti-Spyware (which I've since removed because I think it might have been interfering with Norton Antivirus)
Norton Antivirus

I was able to briefly get online, to try and update Norton, and now it's giving an error, saying I need to reinstall it. Since this is a friends computer and she is out of town, I can't uninstall/reinstall it until I find out if she has her product key.

The owner of the problem machine says the most recent thing she did before noticing all the problems was to click OK on a message Norton gave her asking her to update. I'm not actually certain if she means "update" or just to run the program. The only other thing she could think of is that her husband downloaded a program called UPS Worldship for his business. This seems to be a legitimate program.

Do you think this is in fact malware-related, or should I be doing something different?

Thanks in advance. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jinxE

jinxE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 16 June 2008 - 05:30 PM

Chkdsk finished (so it didn't hang). I didn't get any error messages or anything from it.

What should I do next?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users