Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Pro Not Saving Anything Correctly

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 engeltod

engeltod

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 16 June 2008 - 12:43 PM

I am running XP pro SP1 on my computer at home. It does not save things appropriately. For instance if I attempt to rename a folder it only stays renamed until I turn off my computer, after restarting it reverts to the old name.
Also in programs like winamp if I make a playlist, save it, close the program, and turn off my computer. the playlist is not stored in winamp as it should be; except some of the time, it does. The playlist file is correctly saved, so if I open the playlist everything is there that should be.
For example if I load my blues playlist and turn off/restart the computer, when open winamp again there is no playlist loaded. At some random point in time it does save the playlist, so everytime I open it the blues playlist is there. If I add a new CD to the playlist and save it, the next time I turn on the computer the new songs are not in playlist displayed, but if I load the blues playlist they are there. Except sometimes the songs are saved correctly. I have the same problem attempting to switch to my classical playlist. Open winamp, blues is there, remove blues, and classical, classical stays until I turn off the computer, then blues is back. Again except sometimes.

It seems as though my computer is not fully saving changes, new saves and deletions are handled correctly though.

Any suggestions/questions welcome.

PS
I cannot update to SP2. My MOBO is an asus a8v and the mobo cannot handle SP2.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 16 June 2008 - 01:59 PM

Seems to me that you have cited instances of a WinAmp problem, not an O/S problem.

Uninstall, then reinstall the application.

Last time you ran chkdsk /r and then defragged the C: drive/partition?

Louis

#3 engeltod

engeltod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 16 June 2008 - 05:50 PM

the folder renaming is system folders that revert after restarting

I have uninstalled and reinstalled winamp, however its not just winamp that is losing changes. Pinnacle loses default settings I supply, IE 6 did (dont use it anymore), Firefox does, even the OS loses settings I apply (ie wallpaper, color preferences, mouse keys, mouse pointer jump to)

I cannot think of anything that could cause all of these similar problems simultaneously. I am leaning toward either OS problem or hardware problem.

chkdsk /r and then defragged the C: drive/partition? I dont know right now, have to check at home. Might not have done either one since I reformatted in august. I got infected with brave sentry and just Fdisked. Now that I think about it, after the reinstall is when all these problems arrived.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:36 PM

Sounds to me...that your system has a high chance of being infected.

I would start from that premise and either disprove it or prove it by posting at BleepingComputer.com - Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/ and then try to move on from there.

Just what I would do...

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users