Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware/trojan: Windows Security Center System Warning--help!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SpencerS

SpencerS

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:22 AM

Last night I stumbled into a problem that sounds like it's probably a backdoor trojan (based on other posts). Description:

Red pop-up with the title "Windows Security Center system warning"
A red frame inside the pop-up box with the heading "Alert details"; within the frame, "File: avpcc.dll" and "Threat: CoolWebSearch" also appear.
Seems to have disabled task manager; also uses the system tray to alert me that "system is not protected; may be infected!"

I downloaded MalwareBytes and ran a quick scan. Removed all items that were found, but pop-up window still appears and an IE/Firefox browser window opens every few minutes (opens to Google).

Should I download "Combofix" and try to repair with that? I'm basing this on the following posts:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/148186/infected-with-numerous-items-can-only-boot-in-safe-mode/

Still need to download/run DSS tonight--I'm entering this from my work computer and the issue is on my home PC.

Thanks!

-Spencer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cornzey

cornzey

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 16 June 2008 - 11:51 AM

Don't use ComboFix unless instructed to.

It is a very powerful tool that, if used incorrectly, could ruin your system.

Run another MBAM scan. Does the same trojan appear again?

Let me know what happens,
Cornzey

Posted Image

If I'm giving you help and I don't reply within 24 hours PM me with the topic link.

Avast Anti-Virus - Zone Alarm Firewall
Stay Protected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users