Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Or Hinder

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 labrys

labrys

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:12 AM

Has anyone started a list of all these false antispyware programs and pretend virus scanners.. I've been trying to fix someone's laptop who is riddled with them, I can't tell the real ones from the false ones, I've been googling them but how do you tell the websites and software pretending to be real ones from the real ones. Some of them might even have false removal programs which are just more bugs or are just trying to remove real programs to hide their own infection! It would be nice to start a list to compare them all too from a site I actually trust.

So far I've seen on this machine (me, adaware and AVG are still going)

+ AlphaWipe - suspected 'rogue' registry cleaner (although couldn't find any posts on this site about it)
also - when you Google this one - their site comes up right at the top, making it seem real (or is this a real one by the same name?) If it was fake, I would have thought Google would have banned it by now.
Lots of other sites seem to be giving you downloads to it too giving it more credence.

+ PC Privacy Cleaner - rogue anti spyware (not to be confused with privacy cleaner which is on download.com so Iím assuming thatís a real one)

+ Stubinstaller (Limewire swarmed installer) - not too sure about this one.. this and a bunch of random exe's were in the root - some websites propose it to be some sort of advertising program / spyware

+ UCleaner/Ultimate Cleaner - rogue anti spyware (reported by bleeping computer)

+ VirusIsolator - rogue anti-spyware program (reported by Symantec)
.. and i stated googling all the processes and found MWSOEMON and M3SRCHMN exe's which are apparently mywebsearch malware

..and it kept trying to go to a website softwarereferral dot com every 5 minutes. Popups all over the place and message balloons saying that it found spyware (i think this was privacy cleaner trying to infect it even more or trying to get you to pay for it so it would 'remove' them - yeah right).

Also they seem to have - in the docs and settings/USER/shared folder - thousands of (5200 and counting) zipped files that look like lots of different programs .. no doubt for some sharing of some sort - something to trick more people into getting these infected worms.

I swear Iíve never seen a machine so riddled. A nice learning exercise. Prob just going to have to format the bad boy. I'm not sure i would want to trust it again even if i did 'manage' to clean al this stuff off, I'm certainly not going to plug it into a network or the internet any time soon. I swear some people should not be allowed near computers. This should be a nice learning experience for them too.. I have no doubt the owners kids are going to get a bit of a telling off! I just hope no one has done any internet banking on it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 16 June 2008 - 09:56 AM

I think Spyware Warrior has done a list like this. Of course like any of this stuff, there are new ones every day so it's difficult to keep up to date.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 16 June 2008 - 01:07 PM

Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products List
Index of Malware & Spyware Removal Guides
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016