Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any Remote Access tool not requiring add-ons exist?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 carolimm

carolimm

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 06 April 2005 - 08:18 PM

Hi there, i am in the market righ now looking for a remote assistance tool to use on my Windows platform.

From my hunting i cant seem to find a single tool out there besides the freely available Splash Desk program located at:

http://splashdesk.beforia.com

that will allow me to use any browser out there without it first requiring a special plugin (or whatever) to get the viewer to work in the browser.

For example, when i am at the library their browser's are essentially restricted from launching special plugins which means i cant get access to my pc at home. I noticed that a number of these remote asssitance tools require some sort of plugin to be in place before it can run properly and connect to my pc. Anyway, I've used Splash Desk and it works great for me but was wondering what other cool products are out there..and ideally i prefer it to be free

Thanks very much

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 06 April 2005 - 08:48 PM

Dear Carolimm,

I had the same problem as you did and i didn't find any system or program that is free.

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 06 April 2005 - 09:04 PM

Although I've never tried it, RealVNC is an open source program that is multi-platform and cross-platform and free. It uses its own viewer, and uses little in the way of resources. Usually referred to as VNC, there are many versions of it, and the most secure is probably tightVNC.

You can find them here:

RealVNC

TightVNC

#4 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2005 - 09:11 PM

I will add a second vote for TightVNC. Works through any browser and has its own client.
And works on different platforms ie: Winodws to Windows,Windows to Linux,Linux to Windows.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#5 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 381 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2005 - 08:37 AM

Also try Ultra VNC, it allows transferring of files. Used with the video hook it really speeds things up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users