Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer 6 Odd Behavior

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Vortexx

Vortexx

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 16 June 2008 - 12:08 AM

My computer was recently infected when I visited gamecopyworld.com. I've managed to clean out the infection, but IE is exhibiting some odd behavior ever since.

When I open IE and try to use the address bar to connect to a website, it looks like it's trying to connect, but then it just sits there and doesn't display anything and when I try to close the window I sometimes get the "End Task" dialog. I can open pages stored locally on my hard drive and link to other web pages from there (this is how I got the virus/trojan/etc. removed by using Housecall, turned out to be Vundo), and when I open a new window while IE is already running and displaying a web page, I can then use the address bar to go to a new page. I've downloaded and run several of the programs mentioned in articles I've read on this site:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
SuperAntiSpyware
ATF-cleaner
LSPfix

I cleaned out everything they recommended and I'm still having problems. Firefox seems unaffected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 16 June 2008 - 12:13 AM

Try these fixes:

Log on as an administrator, go Start > Run and type: "cmd". In the window that appears type: "netsh winsock reset". When the program is finished, you will receive the message: "Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog. You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset." Close the command box and reboot your computer.

Go Start > Run > type: "cmd" In the window that appears type: "ipconfig /flushdns". Close the command box.

Go Start > Control Panel > Network Connections. Right click on your default connection, usually Local Area Connection or Dial-up Connection if you are using Dial-up, and and choose Properties. Double-click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item. Select the radio button that says "Obtain DNS servers automatically". Reboot. Warning: Some Internet Service Providers need specific DNS settings. You need to make sure that you know if such DNS settings are required before you make this change.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Vortexx

Vortexx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 16 June 2008 - 01:13 AM

Tried it but no luck. Thanks for the suggestion.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 16 June 2008 - 01:34 AM

http://www.theeldergeek.com/repair_ie6.htm

these methods to repair IE 6 may require an install cd or an I386 folder

http://www.theeldergeek.com/repair_reinstall_ie_and_oe_6.htm

make special note of backing up the registry in the second link
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users