Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg 8.0 Virus Definitions Won't Update

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:36 PM

I am running Windows XP with SP1 and have AVG 8.0 free installed. I also use Spybot Search and Destroy and Spy Sweeper. Today I find that I can't update AVG which has always updated daily since install. I can't open Spybot. I've uninstalled Spybot and tried to go to Google and download a fresh version. I can't get to the site. IE7 locks up and won't take me to a site to download Spybot. I can go to some sites with no problem but others just won't work. I tried to download AVG and it won't work either. It seems any type of virus assistance won't work. I even tried to get to Trend Micros site to run a free virus scan online and it wouldn't load the page. A message came up saying Internet Explorer can't open the page.

A friend brought a fresh downloaded version of AVG to the house and after a great deal of work got it to install (after uninstalling the version I had on the computer!) Only thing is that it just won't update.

Spy Sweeper found several trojan viruses that I have deleted.

No matter what I do Spybot Search and Destroy will not start. I have uninstalled it and now I can't even get the computer to install a fresh version.

I couldn't even get Bleeping Computer to open. I am presently typing this at a friends house.

If I have the Hi Jack Virus, I certainly need help and don't know what to do. Please advice.

Edited by JazzMahn, 15 June 2008 - 09:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 16 June 2008 - 12:11 AM

Download both of these on your friend's computer:

Dr.Web CureIt!
http://freedrweb.com/cureit/

McAfee Avert Stinger
http://vil.nai.com/VIL/stinger/

Transfer them to a CD or pen drive and run them one after the other on your computer in Safe Mode.

These are stand-alone scanners that do not need to be installed or updated - you just double click the file..

How to start Windows in Safe Mode
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 22 June 2008 - 08:26 PM

Budapest,

Has been a few days since I wrote to you. Here is where this computer is at that I have been working on. I ran both of the scanners that you gave me. Dr. Web Cure It found four viruses which I deleted. The Stinger scanner did not find any viruses.

I tried several times to try to get AVG 8.0 to update but it wouldn't. Spybot would not install (after deleting the one I had on the computer!) I tried going to TrendMicro and it would not even open the site. It seems any site that has anything to do with computer support or virus protection would not come in. I would either get a message from IE that the site could not open or a Microsoft message asking if we wanted to close or send information to Microsoft.

I tried the Panda On Line Scanner and had the same problem. The web site wouldn't even come up.

Finally a friend came over with a downloaded version of Avast Free Version. It did install and I was able to update the virus definitions.

After I did that, it ran a scan from the very start up of the computer. It found the following file:

C:\Windows\System32\c/bdll.dll is infected by Win32:VunDrop[Drp]

A message came up asking if I wanted to repair the file. It wouldn't let me. I then chose to put it in Virus Vault where I can see it.

I was able to put Spybot Search and Destroy on and it was even able to update (something it wouldn't do before I ran Avast.) It found several mal ware programs but nothing more than I am used to it finding when I run a scan.

The computer seems to be running much better and I have been able to go to sites I couldn't go to before. All the support sites come up and everything else seems to be running properly.

I did encounter a problem when I reran the Virus Scan with Avast. I got a message that states:

C:\System Volume Information\-restore{F20DC6C2-5212-4F33-8959-AB7DO5D4CDB6} /RP603/ AOO95O83.dll is infected by win32:Vun Drop[Drp]

I tried to place in the Virus Vault and it wouldn't so I deleted it. Reran a complete scan and it finds nothing.

Do I need to uncheck the system restore so that there is no possibility that I could reinfect this computer.

I hope I have given you the information that you need.

I hope I have eliminated the virus and have things back as they should

Please let me know what else I might need to do.

Thank you for your expertise and in assisting me with this problem.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 22 June 2008 - 09:59 PM

First, try running a full system scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

If no more infections show up, you should flush out your System Restore and then create a new Restore Point to prevent possible re-infection from an old one.

Go Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click System Restore. Choose the radio button marked Create a Restore Point on the first screen then click Next. Give the Restore Point a name and then click Create. Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point. Go Start > Run and type: "Cleanmgr" (without the quotes). Click Ok > More Options tab > Clean Up in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users