Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Transfer From Xp To 64-bit Vista

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Soul16

Soul16

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 15 June 2008 - 08:17 PM

So I plan on building a new computer and taking my secondary hard drive out of my current PC running XP. Most importantly I want the files (word docs, music, etc.), but as far as ease goes, I have programs installed on the hard drive (Editing programs, games and other apps.)

My question is, if I put the hard drive into the new comp with 64-bit Vista running would I be able to open those programs from the hard drive and have them run? Or would I just have to get rid of them all and re-install?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2008 - 04:10 AM

Before you install the 64-bit version of Vista you should look very carefully to see if you can find drivers for the hardware that you wish to install. This still seems to be a current problem. The 64-bit version will be more secure than the 32-bit version, but for the average home owner or small business owner, I'm not sure that this would be worth all the trade offs. Another problem will be applications that will be compatible with Vista. You might wish to check and see if any of the applications on you other hdd will be compatible.

You mention a secondary hdd, is this just for storage, or does it have a Windows OS installed on it?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 16 June 2008 - 05:05 AM

You won't be able to reuse the XP programs on the old hard drive in the Vista x64 OS. Programs aren't copyable as they rely on settings in the registry on the old hard drive to run, and use security settings that tie the programs to the old OS.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Soul16

Soul16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2008 - 01:43 PM

K, I figured that, just hoped maybe I could get lucky and it would be possible.

But no, it has no OS on it.

I've always been a bit scared to go for 64-bit because I wonder how much will run it.

I mean is it quite restricted? Or is it a rare thing for something to not run on it?
I worry that I'll be downloading some software and I'll find myself with only a few programs working, is this the case?

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:10 PM

I'm running 64 bit Vista and have been for quite a while now (about 6 months) and haven't found any major problems. My TV card won't work with it (no 64 bit drivers available) - but I've got a TV for a monitor, so I just plugged the cable in the back (I don't record TV either).

Nearly all programs that I've tried have worked - most in 32 bit mode. The Wow64 engine is pretty robust and will allow almost anything to work. I've had a few not work, but have either put them in my XP Virtual Machine, or have found other programs to do the same thing.

I've got 40 or 50 programs installed now, and most are 32 bit. I wasn't able to get the 64 bit version of Firefox to work, so I stuck with the 32 bit version. My main "pain" was the setup software for my new Sony Digital Reader. It doesn't install, and gives no errors - but I really don't need it as it acts like a USB drive when I plug it in. So I just use Windows Explorer to update it.

Ensure that you can get drivers for all of your hardware devices BEFORE upgrading. Once you've got them you'll be able to run anything that you want.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users