Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Block Cellphone Spam

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 15 June 2008 - 07:32 PM

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/06/12/...&ei=5087%0A

How to Block Cellphone Spam
If I told you that todayís e-column would change your life, would you mind that itís sort of short?

The story goes like this. A few weeks ago, in my blog, I wrote this:

ďOK, now Iím really, REALLY annoyed. Within a week, my wife and I have both started getting spam text messages on our Verizon cellphones. I know that this is nothing new, but itís new for us, and itís apparently getting worse.......................
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 16 June 2008 - 04:52 AM

Sounds good, I wonder if there is a system for this in other countries.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:46 AM

There are some good responses to that blog that may help in controlling spam. Anyone having a problem should read those as well.
From reading the responses it is evident that the cellphone companies have no incentive to inform their customers of how to block spam or provide an easy method to do so. Quiet the opposite as the receiver of spam in the USA is charged for the spam text messages. Unlike Europe where the sender is the only one charged.

At the risk of being accused of living in the Stone Age, there is always my personal solution.
I have never owned a cellphone.

As to solving the problem in other countries or for cellphone companies not mentioned, the first place to check is your particular company. Interesting though, as one responder to the blog pointed out, the customer service rep offered no solution even though his company had some options available. More evidence the Cellphone companies here have a profit motive for not assisting the spam blocking.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users