Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing Existing Windows Xp

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kathi

kathi

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 15 June 2008 - 07:13 PM

My son bought a computer from some schmuck online and when he got it home we found that it appears to have a bootlegged copy of WinXP installed on it. It now keeps freezing at startup, the guy was supposed to email my son with some "key code" he would need to complete (?) the installation (I would assume something that would allow Microsoft to verify or authenticate it?). In anycase, he of course didn't get this email. I did run a program that gave me the product code ... but I don't know if that does any good. I have a new unopened WinXP disc - how hard would it be to unistall what is currently on the computer and then install this new disc?

Thanks!
Kathi

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 16 June 2008 - 02:06 AM

It you were able to retrieve the product code you can call Microsoft and see if it is a valid product code. 800-642-7676

Installing the new copy of XP is not difficult, it will prompt you through the installation, it will also keep you informed of what it is doing while it is making the installation. this tutorial will help you to understand the installation process. I wouldn't pay any attention to step 4, you shouldn't need to upgrade your BIOS.

Not knowing what has been installed on that hard drive I would suggest wiping it with a utility like Active Kill Disk, this will overwrite the drive making for a clean slate to start with. This is a free download, the site has easy to follow instructions on how to make a bootable CD and how to use the program. You may have to go into the BIOS to set the CD-ROM as the first device in the boot order in order to use the bootable CDs for wiping the drive and installing Windows.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users