Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sata Wd Raptor Not Recognized In Bios Of New System

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rubberToe

rubberToe

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 15 June 2008 - 04:59 PM

I am in the process of building a new system and ported over my hard drives which are all recognized except for one of my WD raptors.

Old system setup:

asus p4c800-e deluxe
2x36GB WL36GSA8100 RAID 0

New system setup:

asus p5e3 deluxe

The raptors are installed on the first and second SATA ports. One raptor refuses to be recognized [drive works in old system].

Steps taken to troubleshoot the issue:

:cool: strip system to bare necessities
:inlove: set bios defaults
:trumpet: swap cables / ports on mobo
:woot: upgrade bios
:huh: placed drives back in old system to verify functionality
:cool: repartitioned and reformated with Knoppix [I know this would not help my issue but did it anyways]

:thumbsup: :flowers:

It blows my mind that both drives are recognized in the old system but only one on the new board.

At a loss with this issue and out of ideas - looking for suggestions from some fresh minds because I'm burnt. :(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,848 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 05:33 PM

Could you try specifying the proper drives again? I don't find anything for what you listed...and I believe all Western Digital drives start with WD when specifying model number.

Thanks.

Or a link to a description of your drives will do.

If you have the drives in a RAID configuration, only one drive will be seen to work with. To see the drives separately, you have to ignore setting them up in RAID.

Comparing Raid Configurations - http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:RFX_c...ns%3F&hl=en

Check your BIOS, since your motherboard supports RAID and you may have opted for such unintentionally.

Louis

#3 rubberToe

rubberToe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 06:39 PM

Thanks for the response Louis.

Following the steps from Western Digital's site:
Serial ATA Drive not recognized

Drive: WD360GD other information was from mediamax who refurbished the drive

Update:
Moved the drive back to old machine and performed a wiped it, partitioned and reformated through the windows CD. Plugged the drive into the new system and still not recognized.

Things I'm considering:

Try Western Digital's utility or maybe dd the drive with all zeros

Downgrade the bios to a different revision

For some reason I thought because the drives were in a raid array on the old board that it might cause an issue on the new one but that shouldn't be the case.

When I connect the drive via usb sata adapter it is recognized but still not from the motherboards SATA controller.

Edited by rubberToe, 15 June 2008 - 08:33 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,848 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:13 PM

You have several controllers there...a SATA controller (for individual SATA drives), a RAID controller (for any RAID option you set up, and you should also have controllers for optical drives and PATA/IDE hard drives.

I have onboard RAID on one of my motherboards, while I have a PCI controller card installed on the other. Either one of these will allow me to set up a RAID configuration, but there are differences.

If the drives were set up in a typical RAID 0 configuration, the two drives would only be seen as one drive, with a total capacity of only one of the drives. Total capacity reflected would be a total of 36GB max.

If the drives are set up as individual SATA drives in a non-RAID configuration, total capacity would be 72GB and both drives would be recognized as separate partitions/drives.

You keep saying that the drive is not recognized...I keep trying to have you understand that it won't be recognized if you have a RAID 0 configuration set up and the two drives are seen as one.

You need to see and tell us what the default configuration is for your system...to do that, you need to go into the BIOS and see what the boot options are.

Louis

#5 rubberToe

rubberToe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2008 - 11:58 AM

Louis,

I am going to try and clear up the confusion.

Original set-up:
ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
2 x WD360GB in RAID 0 -- lets call one drive A and the other B to differentiate

New system build:
ASUS P5E3 Deluxe

Ok, so I build the new system and install a total of 6 SATA devices. 5 hard drives and 1 optical drive. On the 'MAIN' BIOS page under SATA devices all are listed except one which is 'NOT DETECTED' as specified in the BIOS.

I strip the system down to bare bones. I then attempt to find out exactly which of the 2 raptors is having a problem. Let's call the problem raptor drive 'B'.

Now I take drive B and connect it individually to the different SATA ports and try different power plugs. Nothing. I connect it via USB SATA adapter and it is recognized as a USB device but not when connected to the on-board controller.

I test this problem drive B in two different systems to see if the drive is just bad. In both ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe and M2N32-SLI the problem drive B is recognized in the BIOS under SATA drives no problem.

I figure I need to call ASUS or call Western Digital or just get a drive to replace problem drive B.

This is just a weird anomaly and probably has no fix.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,848 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2008 - 02:22 PM

<<Now I take drive B and connect it individually to the different SATA ports and try different power plugs. Nothing. I connect it via USB SATA adapter and it is recognized as a USB device but not when connected to the on-board controller.>>

OK, let's understand something here :thumbsup:. The drive itself is NOT being recognized as a USB device, it's the adapter/enclosure that is recognized as the USB device. If that drive is not reflected in Disk Management and in My Computer...then it's not recognized/useable by XP.

If you assign a drive letter...that is already used on the system, that newly-attached drive will not be reflected in XP...until the drive letter assignments are changed.

I have two computers. If I take one drive from System A (where the drive is not reflected) and connnect it to System B (where it is properly recognized and useable), then there's nothing wrong with that hard drive. There may be something wrong with what I'm doing on System A, but a drive which works on other systems...is not likely to be considered a defective drive by the manufacturers, IMO.

The motherboard...that could be a different story...but if the MB ports work with other drives...that could be a hard sell.

Have you been to the Asus support site? Or checked for a BIOS update that deals with a similar situation?

Louis

#7 rubberToe

rubberToe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:39 AM

Ok, I haven't heard from ASUS or Western Digital on this matter but fortunate enough for me I purchased 4 of these drives. 2 for me and 2 for a friend. Since the one drive didn't work on my mobo and it worked on his then he just swapped me one. I am still trying to get an RMA in case my friend upgrades any time soon as I don't want him to incur the same issue.

I guess what it comes down to is I did everything possible and couldn't get the drive to work. I tried various cable and port combinations along with reformating the drive a few times.

Edited by rubberToe, 18 June 2008 - 12:40 AM.

#8 rubberToe

rubberToe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:51 AM

So it looks like I'm on my way to RMA!

What have I learned from this? Simply put, hard drive issues are straightforward, especially SATA. If the hard drive in question does not spin up OR fails to be recognized, send it back! Do not let the fact that drive works in other systems but not yours, unless no drives work, keep you from requesting an RMA. Obviously you should perform the basic troubleshooting steps that can be accessed at any manufacturer site, see link above in first post for Western Digital's.

Here is the response I sent to hopefully secure my RMA as it is under consideration at the moment. :thumbsup:

To whom it may concern,

I have replied to Steve with the exact same email -- I hope this makes sense, trust me I wish I had never experienced what I went through.

I purchased (4) Mediamax refurbished Western Digital 36.7GB Raptors [WD360GD]. 2 of these went to a friend. 1 specific of my two drives refused to work in my newer intel chipset boards [p35 & x38]. My friend let me test his drives and they worked. I am currently am using one I had purchased for him until I receive an RMA.

Basically, I spent days pulling my hair out over the issue of the single drive. 3 of the 4 worked fine except for the 1. The one problem drive worked in an ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe in a RAID 0 array and also in an ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe. Mind you, these are both fairly old chipsets.

Now at first I purchased a new motherboard [ASUS P5K Deluxe (P35 chipset)] and one of the drives did not work. On the fly I decided to buy the more expensive ASUS P5E3 Deluxe (x38 chipset) and incurred the same problem with the same drive.

Trust me, it blows my mind that a drive will work under older chipsets and not the newer ones but in the same respect other drives of the exact same type and size work fine except this one.

I spent time on forums asking questions and people thought I was crazy or just confused. But hard drive issues, especially SATA, are straight forward -- if it don't spin up or recognized by the BIOS then send it back. Obviously the problem drive spinned up on the newer systems but just didn't show in the BIOS and therefore could not be entered into a RAID array much less accessed through an OS.

I'm making an assumption that Mediamax flashes the controllers (PCBs) of the HDs as the information is not that of a Western Digital model that shows in the BIOS. Therefore, it is quite possible that on the problem drive that although it worked on the older Intel chipsets of the ASUS boards, the newer boards may be more strict and possibly the flash of the one problem drive was somewhat corrupt.

This drive is essentially worthless to me and anyone else who has a current Intel chipset or possibly any new chipset for that matter.

Thank you for your time and understanding.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,848 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:32 PM

Hmmm...I might add that, from what I have seen...refurbished drives have a very small warranty/return period...and I find nothing positive at all about Mediamax, using Google.

And...re hard drives, vendors are seldom responsible for warranty provisions, since they sell the drives as manufacturer's agents and the manufacturer assumes responsibility for warranty/RMA procedures. Manufacturers will normally request that their own long diagnostic tests be performed before they will consider an RMA.

I don't think any of what I've stated...applies to refurbished drives, I'm not sure how that works.

My suggestion: Always, always buy new hard drives (with at least a 1-year warranty, although many offer more). You get more than you pay for.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users