Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Many Programs In Start Up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 flavius

flavius

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 15 June 2008 - 10:48 AM

hi i have downloaded autoruns as suggested in start up. yes great program but alarming! i have used msconfig and win patrol to keep an eye on whats happening at start up and both show nothing has immense has autoruns, my start up programs total over 600 all are either c\windows\system\- or c\program file\- does this make them safe or do i have to check every file to see what it does or starts, my laptop is 1ghz, 256 ram and 30gig hard drive it as always been a little slow but nothing that i would experiment with, i use ccleaner and a full scan once aweek and secuna inspector once a month and up to now i have very few problems with the machine so should i leave well alone cheers
optomist: balding men have less hair to comb!
pessamist: yes but they have more face to wash

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:00 AM

flavius,

Autoruns shows much more than startup programs. Much of what it shows are system dlls and drivers. You usually don't want to mess with an entry in there unless you know what it does. One time I accidentally unchecked one of the boxes, and upon reboot I had no keyboard or mouse control.... Safe to say it's a powerful tool.

600 entries does not sound abnormal for an autoruns. My system has 780 autoruns lines. :thumbsup:

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 flavius

flavius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 15 June 2008 - 12:11 PM

hello billy3 thanks for your quick reply, i take it that at 780 start ups your desktop/laptop has a lot more memory than mine, your figure makes me less inclined to go experimenting, win patrol will tell me if anything out of the ordinary is starting up and if it does avg8 and spybot will scan it so it wont go unoticed cheers
optomist: balding men have less hair to comb!
pessamist: yes but they have more face to wash

#4 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 15 June 2008 - 03:05 PM

You're welcome :thumbsup:

My system has 2 GB ram.. Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 :flowers:

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users