Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Regular Crashing, Often At Startup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Gingerbridgeman

Gingerbridgeman

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:01 AM

My computer has taken to regularly crashing. It does not come up with a blue screen, but instead normally freezes and then goes completely blank. Sometimes the graphics card also goes haywire, with the screen going a whole rainbow of colours. This happens most often at startup, and often I have to try to starting up 3 or 4 times to start up successfully. Occasionally during startup my computer claims that overclocking failed, although I have never knowingly overclocked it (I don't know how to). I have had my computer since 2004, my motherboard is a P4S800D and my graphics card is a Radeon 9800. I've run the standard cleanup programs (defrag/antivirus/antispyware) but there has been no noticeable difference, so I'd like a bit of advice now it's likely to need some more serious cleaning up.

Thank you in advance,

Richard.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:22 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

First thing I suggest: Go to Device Manager, remove your installed video drivers...reboot and either allow XP to install the drivers...or you install them from the CD that came with your system/video card.

Your video drivers may be corrupt/damaged...and this will give you fresh ones.

Louis

#3 Gingerbridgeman

Gingerbridgeman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:33 AM

Do I need to back things up for that?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:38 AM

I don't and I would not suggest it for this particular maneuver.

But...since you seem to already have known system problems, it would probably not hurt to back up.

Louis

#5 Gingerbridgeman

Gingerbridgeman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 10:42 AM

Thanks.

My first restart after that seemed smoother, but my screen still blanked out on me for a little bit before coming back. It goes blank and comes up with "no signal found". Any ideas for that?

Richard

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:30 AM

"No signal found" indicates that something is not facilitating a smooth video signal from the video card to the monitor.

First suspects: connecting cables, video card. Check that all connections from monitor to motherboard are snug, physically remove your ATI card and reseat it in socket. Then reboot system.

You might also check Device Manager to ensure there are no known driver problems.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users