Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Vickie W.

Vickie W.

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 15 June 2008 - 08:44 AM

Am running windows xp. 2 wks. ago downloaded google gadgets & did not like how puter slowed down so deleted the whole program. Then downloaded yahoo widgets & puter became worse. Also have a dll come up when rebooting puter that says mywebspace. Nowhere on puter to find this program. So went to regedit & found two dll there but not sure which one to delete or what will happen if I do. So bought registry program called Migo Registry repair. Have not used it yet as something tells me I may cause more problems. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Puter was running good until gadgets became my facination... :thumbsup:
Vickie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:06 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Sooo...in what situations is your computer slow?

Aside from this, what system problems exist?

How much RAM is installed?

Last time you ran chkdsk and then defragged the C: partition?

10 Reasons Why Your Computer Runs Slow - - http://www.bestsecuritytips.com/xfsection+...rticleid+43.htm

Slow Computer - http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22278

Louis

#3 Vickie W.

Vickie W.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2008 - 03:25 PM

Hamlius:
I read your response & studied it for a few days regarding my slow computer problem. I decided to use the migo registry repair program. It has worked fine so far. My computer is still slow but it is better than before & I did get rid of a dll that kept poping up. So all in all I appreciate all of your help and advice.
Thanks
Vickie

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,378 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2008 - 03:55 PM

Feedback appreciated, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 sonohuey

sonohuey

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:01 PM

How about this step - what programs startup with your computer?

Go to Start Menu >>> Run >>> msconfig

After you hit enter to start msconfig, click on the tab that says Startup. List everything for us that has a check mark next to it. You would be really surprised what starts with your computer that you have no need of.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,378 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:16 PM

Agree about startups...but a better tool for managing/viewing startup items is AutoRuns for Windows - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx , being careful to pay attention to instructions and the information on each tab.

MSCONFIG is meant to be a troubleshooting tool, which is also capable of temporary management of some (not all) startup items for the purpose of analyzing system problems.

It is not meant to be a means of controlling startup items, regardless of how many persons attempt to use it as such.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Startup.htm

Louis

#7 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:30 PM

Hello, Vickie W.

If you want to deal with startup items safely, you should head on over to Startuplite.

It will list things that are optional and okay to remove, as well as reasons for such.

You can get that here:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/startuplite.php

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#8 Mary Boo

Mary Boo

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2008 - 09:39 AM

:thumbsup:

How about this step - what programs startup with your computer?

Go to Start Menu >>> Run >>> msconfig

After you hit enter to start msconfig, click on the tab that says Startup. List everything for us that has a check mark next to it. You would be really surprised what starts with your computer that you have no need of.

Here it is startup
fm3032

boc426

supur anyi spyware
GOD BLESS
MARY BOO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users