Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recording Videos With Fraps - Size Limit?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zaroba

zaroba

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 15 June 2008 - 01:06 AM

trying to record videos with fraps (i know, not the best thing to use), it is a registered real fraps. not the free version with the 30sec video limit.

i try to record videos and it seems that no matter how long the video is, it will always split the files into 3.99gb pieces. no matter how long or short the videos are, once it reaches 3.99gb, it starts recording using a new file.

now then, i brought this problem up with somebody i play an internet game with (he's a network admin for a major company) and he said that he once used fraps to make a video that was over 30gb as a project for his job. he said he didn't do anything special to allow it that he could remember. he just installed fraps, started recording, and an hour later had a 30gb video. he suggested increasing the paging file, so i did that and it had no effect.

also it seems that sometimes when recording videos, after every few videos i have to goto fraps and change the drive its writing to for some reason or the game will lag to around 1fps when recording is going on. despite none of the drives being nearly full.

as for technical specs:
6gb of ram in the pc
hd 1: sata - 129gb free
hd 2: sata - 83gb free
hd 3: sata - 109gb free
each drive also has a paging file set up that is manually set to 5gb initial size with a max size of 10gb.

so, i can't see why fraps would still cut the videos into 3.99gb pieces while recording when there is ample hard drive space, ram, and page file space to be used for recording. does anybody have any ideas as to what is causing the trouble? or should i just say forget fraps and use a different program to record videos of games?

the game i've been trying to record in so far is GTA San Andreas, which isn't exactly a high resource demanding game.
although in the future i plan to record in other games as well.

Case: Fractal Design Define XL | OS: Windows 10 - 64bit | Monitor: 3x 22" widescreen LCD
Ram: 16 gb ddr3 | GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 970
HDs: 64gd ssd, 2tb Seagate Barracuda | Mobo: ASUS P8P67 LE
CPU: Intel Core i5 - 2500 @ 3.3GHz| PSU: 850Watt Thermaltake Black Widow

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 15 June 2008 - 02:24 AM

This discussion may be useful:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1146880
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Cantide

Cantide

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:20 AM

So Fraps had a limit because of the codec / container used. It has since been updated and uses the new AVI format which allows files bigger than 4GB!

Bandicam is another great choice which has absolutely no filesize limit. Although the unregistered version has a time limit of 10 minutes - the unregistered version of Fraps has a time limit of only 30 seconds!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users