Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Notebook No Longer Connects To A Wireless Network

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 pattiecake

pattiecake

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 14 June 2008 - 11:37 PM

:thumbsup: Right - I have looked up everyone else's problems relating to my problem and some were very useful. But unfortunately they have not resolved my issue. So can someone please, please help me????

Product: HP Pavillion dv6258se Belkin wireless router G

Three days ago everything was fine then BANG!!! Nothing now. My indicator light stays orange and I can only use the internet if I plug directly from my router. Maybe it was the thunderstorms we have had for the past few evenings?!?!?!

According to my PC I have no wireless network connection. Yes, I am able to use it when I plug in the wired computer cable from my router into my notebook, but then I am restricted to one room of the house!! And the whole point is to be able to use it in any room without having to PLUG IN!!

I have re-installed the router several times to my notebook but as soon as I unplug the cable from my notebook, the icon says "Not currently connencted to any networks"!! I have checked my network adaptor and have gone through the procedures as instructed from the HP website but no success.

My husband is still able to use his wireless notebook and has had no problems. And my notebook is only just over a year old and no longer has a warranty on it!!! Grrrrrr!!!

Now I know I'm blonde but I didnt take a degree in computers so if someone would be able to direct me through this mess, I would really appreciate it. I have even tried clicking on HP wireless assistant and that wont open either!! Grrrrrr ....... again!!

Thanking you all in advance.

Pattiecake

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 15 June 2008 - 06:45 AM

Hello,

Am I correct in saying that your husband can connect through the wireless router but you can't?
Have you made any changes to your system recently?
Can you get to the router's set up page?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 pattiecake

pattiecake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:55 AM

Yes you are correct that my husband is able to connect through the wireless router. I can only connect if I plug in the blue cable from the router to my notebook.

I haven't changed anything on my system before this happened. I did try to solve it yesterday by doing the following:
launched Recovery Manager back to last week (6/7/08) when everything was fine
updated the BIOS
re-installed the belkin wireless G router (three times!!!)
downloaded HP Wireless Assistant - and it still won't let me log onto it.
re started the notebook numerous times!!!!

Yes I can get to the routers set up page when I re-install the program again by CD.

I have just spoken with an HP technician through chat support, but as usual they have to look the information up and then cant help. His solution is to send the notebook in by paying for extended warranty. A load of help he was as he kept pushing for the plan to be taken out. Hmmmm.

Hope that helps and really appreciate your response.

pattiecake

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 10:16 AM

Thats ok,

At this point it could be either the laptop or the router. The fact that another system can connect to the internet through the router suggests that your system is at fault.

Open the router setup page and make sure that your computer is allowed access (sometimes MAC addresses can get blocked)

Download http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_network_view.html and let it run on your system. Can you see the router/network?
Regards,

Alan.

#5 pattiecake

pattiecake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2008 - 06:52 PM

Hi Hammertime

Well first I tried to download the nirsoft.net but it appears I do not have enough storage space! And I dont know what I should keep, and what to get rid of or even how. I'm so blonde! lol

Regarding if I can see the router/network - well yes when I plug in the cable but no when I unplug. And I have re-loaded the Belkin wireless G router so many times but with no luck! And that wireless switch still stays at orange.

I suppose I have no alternative than to send it back to HP, pay out a load of money then for them to say that can not mend it.

Boo hoo!!!

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 04:14 AM

The file is only 35.6 KB which is around the size of a couple of word documents. How big is the hard drive on the computer? open up 'My Computer' and right click on disk on the list select properties a new window will pop up with a chart giving a list of free space, used space, total space. You might not have to send it away for repairs just yet.
Regards,

Alan.

#7 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 10:09 AM

You might try to open up the device manager...Start>Run> type "devmgmt.msc" without the quotes>Enter...Look for any red "X's" or yellow "!'s" on your network adapter (click on "+" to open)...Your wireless adapter may have a driver problem or may be disabled. If this fails to show anything, maybe try and use your husbands adapter and see if that works. Then you will know for sure if it is a bad adapter.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#8 pattiecake

pattiecake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2008 - 12:58 PM

Hi Niggles

Well my computer is showing as -

used space free space capacity
HP Recover (D:) 6.25GB 360MB 6.61GB
Local disk (C:) 36.9GB 68.2GB 105GB

Does that help?

Hi Douglas Martin

I have checked my network adaptor which my notebook has built in (NVIDIA nForce Networking controller).

It says the device is working properly and has no red X or yellow !.

My husband has two adaptors showing pn his Toshiba notebook; Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network adaptor and Realtek RTL8101E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0). Whatever all that means!?!?!

His are also inbuilt to his notebook so I'm not sure what you mean when you say to use his. Sorry.

#9 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2008 - 02:24 PM

Ok that helps, the computer has a fair ammount of free space, Download link clicking on 'download link' will start the download. once you have downloaded the file you will need to open the folder and run the file.
Regards,

Alan.

#10 pattiecake

pattiecake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2008 - 04:23 PM

I have downlaoded it and it recommends that I extract all files before run. Should I go ahead and do that?

#11 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2008 - 04:46 PM

Yes they should be extracted for best performance.
Regards,

Alan.

#12 pattiecake

pattiecake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2008 - 05:41 PM

Ok I have done that but I don't understand how that helps me. Can you explain?

It still will not allow me to connect as a wireless PC.

When I am not connected with the blue cable from the router to my notebook and I follow the instructions to "set up a wireless router or access point". It either wants me to plug the blue cable into my pc or "create and save to a USB flash drive".

If I plug back in, it says "windows detected network hardware but can not configure automatically." Two choices come up with:

1. Configure this device manually which opens the device configuration web page http://192.168.2.1/ but nowhere that I can manually input the informaton.

2. Create wireless network settings and save to USB flash drive - which I do not have.

So at this point I can not move forward on this.

It still seems to me that the notebook can not detect having any wireless device in it.

#13 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 05:30 AM

It sounds like you are following the steps to create a network.

1. Open the control panel and double click on network connections.

2. on the new window that has opened can you identify what connections are there? ie 'local area connection' and 'wireless network connection'

3. is the wireles network connection greyed out? if so right click the icon and click 'enable'

4. double click on the wireles connection icon (a new window will open) click properties and another window will open.

5. on this new window you should see a list. below the list you should see two check boxes make sure they are checked.

6. click the 'wireles networks' tab and check the box that says 'use windows to configure my wireless network settings'

7. click 'ok'or 'apply' to save the changes.

8. A new icon should be visible by the clock, this icon should look like a small screen with bars. double click this icon and click the view wireless networks.

9. click on the network that belongs to you and connect to it.
Regards,

Alan.

#14 pattiecake

pattiecake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:33 AM

When I am plugged in with my cable from the router to my PC, the Network and Sharing Center says:

this computer ------------------- belkin 54g ---------------------- internet

Belkin 54g (Private Network)

Access Local and Internet
Connection Local Area Connection

There is nothing mentioning wireless to even click onto. Its like there the PC can not recognize that it should be wireless and does not have the equipment for it to operate as wireless.

:thumbsup:

#15 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:01 AM

The instructions I posted were for windows XP, I was not aware that you are running Vista.

The system does have a wireless adapter, but the windows configuration tool may not be working search for HP software relating to wireless functions.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users