Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Your Current Security Settings Do Not Allow This File To Be Downloaded Popup

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Iownyoujk

Iownyoujk

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 14 June 2008 - 09:39 PM

Recently, I have been getting a message saying "your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded" and does not let me download the file. :huh:

Lately this has become a major issue for alot of internet users, because when i search it up on google, the number of questions are crazy.

Unfortunately, all the answers left to help the person never work for me. I have tried about everything, from lowering down my firewall, to trying to change my registry.

If this question has been asked many times before in this forum, I'm sorry to post another one,but for some reason the search button on the website was not working for me.

Since you guys have solved my problems before,i am counting on your for help again! :huh:

If you need more details,ask me anything, because the earlier this problem is over, the better. :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 10:06 PM

Try this and see if it helps. If it does you will have to decide if you want to disable the security that it gives you for the convenience of downloading what you want.

Go to your user settings and under the UAC (User Account Control) uncheck the box and I beleive you may have to reboot.
See if you still get the messages. If you do, then you may want to go back and select it again.

#3 Iownyoujk

Iownyoujk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 10:14 PM

Wow,IT WORKED! (for a couple days)

Edited by Iownyoujk, 15 June 2008 - 07:05 PM.

#4 Iownyoujk

Iownyoujk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 07:06 PM

It started doing the popup over again just today,have any other suggestions on how to disable this?

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 07:34 PM

Try a couple of these free, online scanners to see if anything has slipped by your protection:
(Be advised that some of these scanners will pickup things in "quarantine" from other anti-virus programs - so review the results carefully)

http://housecall.trendmicro.com
http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/solutions/activescan/
http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner Scan Only - no removal
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html
http://support.f-secure.com/enu/home/ols.shtml
http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp
http://onlinescan.avast.com/
http://ca.com/us/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/

<links compiled on 02/14/2008>
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 08:22 PM

You can also check your IE settings:

1. Start Internet Explorer 7.
2. Click Tools, and then click Internet Options.
3. In the Internet Options click the Security tab.
4. Click Local intranet, and then click Custom Level.
5. Under Reset Custom Settings, click Medium in the Reset to list.
6. Click OK two times.

This could also be caused by a virus or spyware as usasma stated about running the scans. Usually when it gets really bad you lose control over your control panel or administrative rights when your computer is infected. But I would at least check your IE settings to be sure.

#7 Iownyoujk

Iownyoujk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:29 PM

2 things:

1.I have webroot and trend micro antivirus, so I think I am secure on the virus part(but its possible this could be the cause of a virus)

2.I tried chriss's 1st answer in the forum and it worked for a day,but then started up again,so i think this has to do with personal settings. I tried your his 2nd suggestion which didn't work so I am kinda stuck here.

I appricate that you are trying to help me with this problem.

#8 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:12 PM

Is the webroot an antivirus or just the spyware scanner? You should never have 2 antiviruses on the same system, they can cause conflicts. And even though you do have these on your computer it is best to run an online scan to double check. I have fixed many computers that had antiviruses on their system, but the bitdefender found viruses they could not and it took care of some that they could not. I would run at least one of usasma's suggestions just to be sure.

What about spyware scans, do you have any installed and have you run them?
Spybot is good:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/using-spybot-to-remove-spyware/

If you run the online scan and spybot and nothing shows up, then we need to look more into your settings.

Check to see if you can get into your administrative tools or if it stops you from accessing them.

Edited by Crizz44, 16 June 2008 - 08:13 PM.

#9 Iownyoujk

Iownyoujk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:45 PM

An expert at computers installed my antiviruses, so I don't think there are any conflicts with the antivirus systems(then again,I am assuming,so there is always a chance)

I think I figured out the problem though.

When I was downloading private server programs, there were some programs that aren't harmful to the computer but are considered viruses to my anti virus programs.So once I scanned the computer and fixed the problems,my antivirus programs blocked me from downloading files from the website itself, but I can download files from websites that I didn't get problems with.Thats just my guess.

I am going to download spybot,so you can take a look at the results,so you can know for sure what the problem is.

Also, is bitdefender free? Because I don't feel like having a screen pop-up at me asking if I want to buy the program after I download it,and then eventually have to delete it.

Ok,I tried every mirror to download spybot, but I got that popup screen telling me my security settings won't let me download this file. Crap! Yea,thats not good.

Edited by Iownyoujk, 17 June 2008 - 04:50 PM.

#10 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2008 - 11:15 PM

If he installed 2 antiviruses on your computer, I am very surprised. I would check with him and see if he did, it is not a good idea. You still may have some virus that is stopping your downloads.
Bitdefender.com is free, if you pick the correct options. They try to get you to get the evaluation version of their antivirus suite and you don't need that.

If you go to bitdefender.com and look down the left hand side, you will see "Scan online" and a button under it saying "BitDefender Online Scanner" select it a box will appear, select "I Agree" do not hit the download button by the 2008 Total Security. You will then have to Right click and accept the Run Active X controls at the yellow bar at the top. Then I believe it installs a small program. Since I already installed it once it doesnt ask me again. Then you will get to the "Start Scan" button.
If you computer doesn't allow you to scan it with the bitdefender, then I believe you may have a virus or spyware problem blocking you from downloading any fixes.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 06:58 PM

Try opening the Trend Micro and selecting the Options/Controls menu on the left side of the window.
In the next pane there should be something about "prevent unauthorized changes" - set that to OFF

Although I really like the Trend Micro antivirus program, this is an annoying little thing about it that just ticks me off!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2008 - 01:53 PM

Please excuse me for butting into this thread, but I have a question on one of the on-line scanners that was recommended. I launched the Kaspersky one, (the Free Scan) since I'd heard that it was good. It's in the process of downloading it's database to my computer. I thought that the on-line programs didn't add virus databases on my machine, but only scanned it. Am I just confused? Will there be a conflict now with my Norton Anti-Virus? I only want one application (and have paid for Norton already, though I won't again).

So sorry 'bout the extra post in your thread Iownyoujk. :huh: This seemed like a relevant place for me to ask.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2008 - 04:34 PM

There are ActiveX controls in most of the scans that will add a little bit to your system - but they will not conflict with your currently installed antivirus.

Each scan works differently according to the designs of it's manufacturer, and there'll even be differences (and similarities) between the Java and ActiveX scanners (this choice is offered in the TrendMicro Housecall online scan).

#14 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2008 - 09:14 PM

Just remember Kaspersky will only scan it and show any problems, it will not fix it for free.

#15 Iownyoujk

Iownyoujk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 10:49 PM

Thanks usama and crizz,but both of your ideas didn't work.

When i tried to do the bit defender idea, the scanner just froze,and i waited about an hour with no results.

when i did the trend micro idea, There was not one difference,sorry.

Please keep trying to help me here,i really need to get some things downloaded soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users