Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

A good browser Checker

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 July 2004 - 07:00 PM

found this dont know if you knew about it but thought I would put it here just in case. It even found some stuff on mine and I thought I was iron clad.

http://bcheck.scanit.be/bcheck/sid-f6cc37d...4f9969dc6b9762/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 26 July 2004 - 08:13 PM

Hi Brunt,

I just ran the check browser security test you posted... the full check on two browsers.

I am "ironclad" closed! (And I really did know this before I started the test.)

I scored a 0, 0 ,0 on their check test.

But they did try to input three different midi files on me separate from their purported testing.

I wonder what kind of tracking or spam agent they were trying to input? Or other?

I'm going to do a little more checking on this "scanit security company".
Until I get some results back, I'd suggest others be very careful of running this "Test"!

I'm very suspicious of any company dealing with near-east, middle eastern nations!!!

:thumbsup:
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 July 2004 - 08:16 PM

KoanYorel. The reaosn they test the midi files through WMP is because there is a hotfix for WMP people can gain access to your pc through a hole in wmp so they test for that exploit. I wouldnt put a website up that would I did not check into! But good to see your up to date! I am as well but must be the sp2 bug? '

Edit, I went a little further into and SUN system's support's it. And well as I trust SUN system's.. You were not supposed to save the midi file nor the wav file.

#4 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 26 July 2004 - 08:32 PM

just ran the test on firefox...zero, zero, zero.

instructions state to cancel file open or download (if applicable) so I did
  • foos.vbs (2)
  • readme.txt%test.vbs (1)
thought I'd check IE and Mozilla next.

maybe download the files to inspect them, later...curiousity, dang me.

ran test on mozilla 1.7...zero, zero, zero

ran test on IE...one, zero, zero...

it was a little "wilder" ride during IE's test, windows opening, WMP opening, the above download or open file options...kinda reminded me of the reasons I switched from using IE in the first place.

the "one" indicates High Risk:

Internet Explorer Modal Dialog Argument Caching Cross-Domain Scripting Vulnerability (jel20040607)... and I have SP1 w/ 41 updates & checking daily.

Edited by phawgg, 26 July 2004 - 09:06 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#5 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2004 - 08:55 PM

0, 0, 0 and oh yeah

LINUX RULES!! :thumbsup:

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#6 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 July 2004 - 09:01 PM

I have not tested it through Linux yet, Im just giessing that mine will also be 0,0,0 as well. Gotta not love having to reinstall linux due to ...to many viruses :thumbsup: ... Since I have had SuSe Not once expet whn my wife deleted the partitions but other than that not a once. Windows about 8 ,9 times. At least every thirty day's but I also test alot of stuff on my test box.

#7 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 27 July 2004 - 12:42 AM

:trumpet: Yeah OK :thumbsup: My Mozilla 1.7 tests 0..0..0!! :flowers: That is so nifty.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 27 July 2004 - 12:05 PM

Mozilla 1.7
0-0-0

What is interesting is the statisics:

1. 38 percent of the browsers tested had high risk vulnerabilities
2. 19 percent had medium/low risk vulnerabilities

It is frightening to think that over half of the browsers tested were unsafe.

The good sign is that 14 percent of the browsers tested were Mozilla based, although Mozilla browsers are 5 percent of population. This either shows that Mozilla users are more concerned with security, or that more people are using Mozilla than recent polls indicate.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 yaabaa

yaabaa

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2004 - 11:22 PM

Hi all !! I have just tried the browser checker three succesive times, and each time, it gets part of the way through the test, and then a few of the windows that pop up, freeze, and the IE window hangs. CPU usage sticks at 100% and its temp starts to climb. I have tried waiting a few minutes, but it just stays like that. The first couple of times I thought it was because I had the pop up stopper enabled, but even with it disabled this happens. I have to use task manager to end the IEXPLORE.EXE process. Is this hanging part of the test ????!!!!??? :thumbsup:

Some info about my 'puter:

Intel D865GLC motherboard
Intel Celeron 2.4 GHz CPU
2 x 80 GB Seagate UATA HDDs
2 x Legend 256 MB PC2700 DDR RAM
Lite On CD-RW drive, 52x 24x 52x
Alcatel Speedtouch PCI ADSL modem
Pinnacle PCTV PCI card
3 1/2" FDD
Antec Truepower 330W power supply
El-cheapo ATX tower case
Hyundai F770D 17" monitor

WinXP Pro with SP-1a
WinXP Office Pro with SP-3
AVG Free edition, version 6.0.732
Ad-Aware 6.0 Plus, build 6.181
Panicware Pop-Up Stopper Pro, version 1.60.1002

#10 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 July 2004 - 02:32 AM

Just a guess but if it is pushing your cpu usage up that high you might have some nasties on yuor pc! Run the spychecker in my signature see if anything is in there!

#11 yaabaa

yaabaa

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 31 July 2004 - 06:59 PM

Hi Brunt - thanks for the reply. I ran AVG and Ad-Aware and they both came up clean. The high CPU usage is only when IE is hanging during the browser checker test - the rest of the time, everything seems normal. I will give it another go now,

Andy :thumbsup:

#12 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 July 2004 - 07:22 PM

adaware is ok but the scanner in my sig is much better give it a try its free for thirty days!

#13 yaabaa

yaabaa

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 31 July 2004 - 07:27 PM

I just tried running the test again with AVG and as many other things as I could, disabled, and when a dialog box popped up saying something about being unable to test a missing part of Quicktime - I assume an IE plugin, I quickly clicked on OK to close the box even though the instructions said not to close any popups, (It was just after that point that it would hang). It managed to keep going to the end, but then it finished on a, "The page cannot be displayed", page: The pesky page

Andy :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users