Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Only 1 Ide Connector

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jcool3

jcool3

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 14 June 2008 - 09:26 PM

Just installed a new motherboard,old board had 2 IDE connectors 1 for HD and 1 for DVD, this one only has 1 how do I reinstall the DVD player.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 14 June 2008 - 10:35 PM

Make your hard drive the Master and your dvd the slave.

See if this will help explain:

http://www.geeks.com/techtips/2006/techtips-05apr06.htm

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 14 June 2008 - 10:42 PM

Another alternative would be to add a IDE to PCI card to gain the extra connection, about fifteen - twenty bucks at Newegg. Adding two different devices with different speed will result it both devices running at the slower speed of the two devices.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 15 June 2008 - 12:37 AM

Another alternative would be to add a IDE to PCI card to gain the extra connection, about fifteen - twenty bucks at Newegg. Adding two different devices with different speed will result in both devices running at the slower speed of the two devices.

In the past, IDE controllers could not change speed "on the fly" to accommodate differing devices, so had to operate at the speed of the slowest device on a channel. For quite some time now, IDE controllers have universally implemented IDT (Independent Device Timing) which solves this.

However using an extra controller is still a good idea. Even though a modern controller channel can operate both devices at each one's correct speed, IDE can only access one device on that channel at a time, so transferring between the two devices, eg copying files from DVD to HDD, will be faster if each can be on its own channel. The source device can then be read from concurrently with the destination device being written to.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 15 June 2008 - 12:45 AM

In the past, IDE controllers could not change speed "on the fly" to accommodate differing devices, so had to operate at the speed of the slowest device on a channel. For quite some time now, IDE controllers have universally implemented IDT (Independent Device Timing) which solves this.

Thank you for the clarification. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:11 AM

You're welcome. :thumbsup:

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:42 AM

I was just going to add...that I find Platypus to be correct.

I just installed a "new" motherboard, with one IDE port and 4 SATA. When I went to install XP, I thought that I'd just try doing both devices on the same IDE cable...I figured I'd learn something from the direct experience, if nothing else :thumbsup:.

To my surprise, both devices seem to be working quite well on the same cable and there is no recognizable drop in system speed or DMA complications.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users