Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Delete Fragmentation (partition Magic)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 merellogalasso

merellogalasso

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 14 June 2008 - 09:04 PM

Is it or is it not possible to delete fragmentation of internal hard disk, when remaining files and folder inside each part, without damaging or loosing them? I need urgently to open more space for my internal hard disk. Many thanks and greetings
"There are atoms and vacuum; the rest is opinion"
(Democritus, several centuries before Hume and Kant)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 15 June 2008 - 12:33 AM

Defragmenting the hdd can clean up some of the clutter, but if your hdd is getting full then you have some choices, store some of the files on removable media like CDs, DVDs, a flash drive, or you can install another hdd.

You need to have about fifteen percent free space on the hdd for file swap space, if you get below this the hdd starts to struggle to work and slows down.

Edit: I just notice in your other topic in this forum that you list a F: drive, if you have this external hdd just transfer files that you don't use regularly to it.

Edited by dc3, 15 June 2008 - 12:49 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:45 AM

When transferring files and folders from C to external F, WHICH FOLDERS AND FILES CANNOT BE TOUCHED IN ORDER TO NOT SPOIL THE PC FUNCTION? I mean which ones are the system functioning indispensable ones? This question is because there are many "strange" folders appart of programs that cannot be installed in other hard disks because they do not offer the option (Microsoft Office, MSN, Google Talk, etc. Can I just copy "documents and settings" without ruining some function linked to this folder? Do they remain linked from the external one? Sorry. Many thanks and regards.

Defragmenting the hdd can clean up some of the clutter, but if your hdd is getting full then you have some choices, store some of the files on removable media like CDs, DVDs, a flash drive, or you can install another hdd.

You need to have about fifteen percent free space on the hdd for file swap space, if you get below this the hdd starts to struggle to work and slows down.

Edit: I just notice in your other topic in this forum that you list a F: drive, if you have this external hdd just transfer files that you don't use regularly to it.

#4 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:13 PM

Many thanks. Yes, I have a new 80G external HD but I am afraid in transferring anything from C (where there are only the system and the applications that cannot be addressed to D [Microsoft Office, Google Talk, Messenger, etc., etc and many other ones that mysteriously filled it up]). That was the reason because I was asking for help to tell me which are the untouchable folders in order to not make a real big mistake at transferring. I have already transferred successfully from D, "my documents", "my download files" and installed the new downloadings. But touching the famous C (that's full), concerns me a little. Many thanks and best regards. "Thanks God"..., a technician friend of mine is in the city and will come tomorrow for arranging everything. Then I will rest a little bothering you all great people really kind ones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users