Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Access Internet After Sp2 And Sp3 Update!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 williamvincent

williamvincent

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 14 June 2008 - 06:47 PM

hi to you all
prior to updating my laptop with xp sp2 and sp3 i was able to access my internet fine both through a plug in lan line connection through a modem and a wifi connection through the same modem. my other laptop still connects to the internet fine so i know there is nothing wrong with my external modem or my wifi connections.

now when i try to connect through my linksys compact wirless g adapter i get limited or no connectivity so i open up the connection and it reads like this

sends activity but recieves nothing
the picture of the two screens has an exclamation mark on the line

i click on the repair but but it fails due to being unable to renew my ip address and it asks me to contact my administrator but i am a single computer not connected to a network.

when i try to connect to the internet using the cable into the modem i have the same problem

can anyone please advise me on what i am doing wrong thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 14 June 2008 - 07:41 PM

Do you know if your network uses DHCP, or do you have to assign static IP addresses? Meaning when you first set up the computer, did you have to type in numbers that looked like 127.0.0.1 (that format), or did it just connect automatically? It's possible that the updates wiped out these numbers, and you have to put them back in.

Go to Control Panel>Classic View (if you haven't already)>Network Connections>Right click on your connection and hit properties>Highlight "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)">Properties and tell me what you see there. If you have one, do that same thing on another computer connected to the same connection, and tell me what you see on that one too.

EDIT: When I figure out who came up with the "please contact your administrator" message, I'm going to... I don't know, do SOMETHING. :thumbsup:

Edited by madman6510, 14 June 2008 - 07:50 PM.

#3 williamvincent

williamvincent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 05:53 AM

hi madman
in regards to the DHCP i never configured the laptop as it was done by a tech guy as it was a present for my wife so i dont know.

however it was configured in the uk and we are now in morocco and connecting to the internet still worked here without any prompting prior to the upgardes.

on my wifes laptop TCP/IP is on obtain IP address automatically for both the wifi and lan

on this laptop that has connection TCP/IP V6 and TCP/IP V4 are both on detect automatically.

when you go connection/support/details the ip address and subnet mask here are wrong and there are no toher details

mine has physical address
dchp enabled
ip add
subnet mask
default gateway same number
DHCP server same number
DNS server same number

hope this helps many thanks bill

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 08:53 AM

Go into the protocols...and remove the TCP/IP V6 and V4...and see if you can select plain old TCP/IV.

Although it really should not make a difference...on my system, it did make a difference at a time when I was having connection problems that I did not understand.

Right-click on connection, select Properties, add Protocol.

Louis

#5 williamvincent

williamvincent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 10:01 AM

hi louis
thank you for the advice but the TCP/IP V6 and TCP/IP V4 are on this computer which is connected to the internet just fine. it is the other computer that i am having all the trouble with but i appreciate any help where computers are concerned
regards
bill

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 15 June 2008 - 05:16 PM

Here's some troubleshooting suggestions for general connectivity problems:

Log on as an administrator, go Start > Run and type: "cmd". In the window that appears type: "netsh winsock reset". When the program is finished, you will receive the message: "Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog. You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset." Close the command box and reboot your computer.

Go Start > Run > type: "cmd" In the window that appears type: "ipconfig /flushdns". Close the command box.

Go Start > Control Panel > Network Connections. Right click on your default connection, usually Local Area Connection or Dial-up Connection if you are using Dial-up, and and choose Properties. Double-click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item. Select the radio button that says "Obtain DNS servers automatically". Reboot. Warning: Some Internet Service Providers need specific DNS settings. You need to make sure that you know if such DNS settings are required before you make this change.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 williamvincent

williamvincent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2008 - 09:01 AM

hi budapest
tried your advice and it has not worked, but thankyou.

i done a system restore on the laptop yesterday and rolled it back to the first part of the installation for sp2. checked the wifi connection and managed to connect to the internet just fine. i shut down and opened it up today to try it again and i am back to limited or no connectivity on lan and wifi.

thats when i tried your advice but to no avail.

there is nothing wrong with the modem connecting to the internet or sending out a wifi signal as i am using my laptop to write this email.

can you or anyone else add any advice that will resolve this situation as i feel like screaming.

on the wifi connection i get this:

status limited or no connectivity
network name of my network comes up
duration
speed
signal strentgth five bars excellent

activity
sent 63
recieved 0

when i click on repair it will not allow me unless i switch over to the wireless zero configuation utility.
if i do click yes i can then open view wireless network connections where it has picked up the wireless network but again it says limited or no connectivity when i click on repair i get windows cannot repair as it cannot renew your ip address please contact your administrator

on the left hand side i click on advance settings /wireless networks highlight network select properties on association tab shows network as being opn data encryption disable (which is correct as the modem data encrytption has been disabled)

i am having the same trouble with the LAN when that is connected could it be something to do with my modems encryption being disabled and the xp update not liking this?
any help appreciated
regards
bill

Edited by williamvincent, 16 June 2008 - 09:09 AM.

#8 Bombasos2

Bombasos2

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:16 PM

This is what I would try if I was you. First I have seen this problem with other laptops that give you the limited or no connectivity, for those the fix was quite simple. Unplug from the charger, remove the battery, and hold down the power button as if you wanted to turn it on for about 30 seconds. After you have done that then you should check what you do have.
This article gives you a pretty good description on how to troubleshoot some network problems: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314067
What I would like to know is if you are getting a valid IP address. To find out do the following.
Connect it using the Ethernet cable. I would also try connecting directly from you modem to your computer so bypass your router if you have one.
1. Start-Run-type CMD- click run.
2. Type ipconfig /all and look under Ethernet adapter Local area Connection look for an IP address
if you are getting an address similar to 169.254.y.z. Follow these steps.
With the command still open type ipconfig /release you should get an IP of 0.0.0.0
Now type ipconfig /renew and you should get a valid IP of starting with 75, 192, 168 etc
Also make sure that you turn off any firewall you might be using.
If you are getting a valid IP and not a 169 you could try to reinstall the drivers for your network card.
You can look at that article for other steps to try as well.

If all else fails you could also try to reset your winsock catalog.
1. Start-Run-type CMD- click run
2. Type netsh winsock reset
Restart the computer and test your internet.

Let me know if this works out.

Edited by Bombasos2, 17 June 2008 - 12:31 PM.

#9 williamvincent

williamvincent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:15 AM

thanks for all your advice on this one guys.

i have now fixed the problem. it seems there is a bug in the SP2 service pack which effects some computers and not others.

i managed to fix the problem by going to this link

www.pchell.com/support/limitedconnectivity.shtml

under "what steps can i take to fix this problem" download the zip file which includes the microsoft patch and another patch which comes with simple instructions.
i followed this advice and my wifes laptop is running fine thank god.

but thank you for all the support
bill

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,093 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:25 AM

Glad you solved it, feedback appreciated...and thanks for the link :thumbsup:.

Yours doesn't appear to work properly, so I'll post it here: http://www.pchell.com/support/limitedconnectivity.shtml

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 18 June 2008 - 08:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users