Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Says Satellite Maps Won't Spy

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 06 April 2005 - 04:05 PM

The satellite maps could unnerve some people, even as the technology impresses others. That's because the Keyhole technology is designed to provide close-up perspective of specific addresses. Keyhole's previous government ties also have raised anxieties. April 5, 2005 6:17PM Top Tech News Online search engine leader Google has unveiled a new feature that will enable its users to zoom in on homes and businesses using satellite images, an advance that may raise privacy concerns as well as intensify the competitive pressures on its rivals. The satellite technology, which Google began offering late Monday at http://maps.google.com, is part of the package that the Mountain View-based company acquired when it bought digital map maker Keyhole Corp. for an undisclosed amount nearly six months ago.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 06 April 2005 - 04:32 PM

Spooky.

KeyHole Satellite systems.

Big Brother in concert with Big Business. (again)

Hmmm....

What where you doing on 23 Nov ...?
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2005 - 09:04 PM

Being somewhat curious, I checked my home address, at least from the close up I saw, I don't have any worries. However, the US government most likely can do a much better job.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 10 April 2005 - 08:00 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2005 - 09:10 PM

those maps are awsome.

i don't see how anyone could say they are an invasion of privacy because you can't even see cars on there... and its not really live so you can see people and what not... but what surprised me is that how they didn't have any clouds... :weird:

#5 igonuts2

igonuts2

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 09 April 2005 - 09:32 PM

in 1974 i was in the air force attatched to a test sq. we developed a laser technology for servailence on rc (reconnaissance) modified fighters.. at that time the computer resolution of images were able to read the brand name of a cigarrete at 40,000 ft and being prept for use at 60,000-80,000 (SR71 altitudes).
this is not new stuff here.
im not trying to be a smart aaaa. its just that as new technology comes along then the old stuff gets de-classified for civilian, ie corporate,use.
it is scary. we have to trust the government with this stuff not invade homeland privacy. but when my nieghbor can monitor my comings and goings, i worry.

i dl'd keyhole and i saw no real time images. futhermore, im guessing that they might be dealing with municipal rights infringement. only cities that subsribe have hi-def. and in some cases youre viewing air photos (aircraft). and if you want to view "area 51" you cant get below 5000ft. wonder why that is?
you can go to USGS.com (earth space) and view simular images, although they be mostly recreational.

they also dont offer uninstall, or at least i cant find it.
when i did add/delete it still left tracks all over.

it was fun though. just to grab the word and turn it, mmmm power.
for viewing volcanos grand canyon and the like, USGS and DEPT OF INT is much better.

spelchek is offline i luv it.

Mod Edit: This post has been edited in order to remove offensive content.

Edited by scarlett, 10 April 2005 - 05:56 PM.

Why work when you can play!

#6 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2005 - 10:27 PM

I couldn't find Area 51 on the satellite... obsiovly google maps won't take you there if you do a search, i just couldn't find it... its in nevada right? someone point me in the direction of it :thumbsup: lol

anyone like i said b4 for a commericial "free" perspective this isn't bad, I mean it can help you find what you are looking.

#7 igonuts2

igonuts2

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 10 April 2005 - 05:34 PM

yo yanowhiz!!!
actualy look in the left collum. i already deleted mine and i cant remember exactly. its up to under one of the xs. just click on area 51. you cant get below 5000 though.
Why work when you can play!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users