Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Am Confused As To What This Dell Disk Does

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 futons1

futons1

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 14 June 2008 - 03:55 PM

I may sound stupid but it won't be the first time. I have had three dell computers. they always give you one disk per the application. I have always had seperate disks for the drivers, modem, audio, monitor, and diagnostic. I don't go over what disks i get when the computer is shipped, I should have because dell won't answer my e-mails and tell me to call a 1800 number and pay 39.00. I'm out of warrentee. I am going to need to reinstall windows xp and have the oem xp disk along with a monitor disk and a audio disk. This last disk is my confusion. It says " drivers and Utilities". Under that it says for reinstalling V9X (capable) 56K data fax modem. Then under that says software for microsoft windows. To the right it has contents of the disk "drivers, diagnostics and utilities, online documentation, and modem on hold. Now because it says diagnostics I"ve been having problems with my operating system so I put it in the cd rom to see if it would give me a handle on why are programs freezing, slowing down, and internet problems and there are many more things going on. I have done a hijack log, several different antivirus scans, trendmicro internet scan, pc pitstop scan, it may be a hardware issue because I'm not infected and the situation keeps getting worse and worse. Lets get back to the disk because I have spent over more than two months on my computer problem and have never been able to stop the crash which I know is comming. My computer just keeps getting worse no matter what people tell me to try or what i have tried. So back to the disk,when this disk was put in the cd rom internet explorer said if you run this software you run the risk of doing damage to your computer. I then looked and saw a small sentence that said this disk is for reinstaling software only. So I need this disk to put the rest of the drivers, modem, and what ever else is on here. My confusion is it says it contains diagnostics which used to be a disk by it self. It says it contains drivers and utilities which used to be another disk, it says for reinstalling the modem a third disk and last but not least a diagnostics disk. I can only guess what this disk does. To save money it seems dell put four disk into one. I just like to know at the end of a reinstaltion what I putting in and what it does and I can't do that. By the way I have used dell support out of warrentee before and they never solved the problem, but made me give them my credit card over the phone. Please any thoughts to what this disk contains. Oh when I ran the disk to try besides the message from internet explorer the tool bar, start bar and most of the icons vanished before I could take it out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 14 June 2008 - 07:58 PM

I may be wrong, because I've never actually bought an OEM Dell, but I think the diagnostics disk is a bootable disk (you turn your computer off, then back on with the CD still in the drive) containing things such as hard disk diagnostics (like the one running on the machine next to me, stupid Maxtors :thumbsup:), memory testers, etc.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 15 June 2008 - 08:54 AM

Insert the disk in your dvd drive, reboot the computer, if there's an option to chose what to boot to, try letting the computer boot to the disk
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users