Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avir Atnivir Updateing Difficulties

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 merellogalasso

merellogalasso

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 14 June 2008 - 02:00 PM

Myself, and I see that many people, have troubles or impossibility to update Avir. Is it anything to do at that respect? Is Avir better than AVG? Many thanks.
"There are atoms and vacuum; the rest is opinion"
(Democritus, several centuries before Hume and Kant)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 14 June 2008 - 02:18 PM

Are you talking about Avira AntiVir and the free version?
http://www.free-av.com/

Sometimes their servers get bogged down and slow, but if you try a different time of day that usually takes care of it. I just right click the systray icon to manually update the virus definitions. Something new has started though. After the update a balloon comes up about needing updates, but when you click to do it, it tells you it's already updated. (I'm not real thrilled about that.) But apparently it's telling you there is a program update, which is different than the virus definition updates. To get the program update, you have to open Avira and use the update function in Toolbar (Updates) at the top.

#3 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 07:14 PM

All that makes the application to be very bad. Many thanks

Sometimes their servers get bogged down and slow, but if you try a different time of day that usually takes care of it. I just right click the systray icon to manually update the virus definitions. Something new has started though. After the update a balloon comes up about needing updates, but when you click to do it, it tells you it's already updated. (I'm not real thrilled about that.) But apparently it's telling you there is a program update, which is different than the virus definition updates. To get the program update, you have to open Avira and use the update function in Toolbar (Updates) at the top.

#4 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 05:52 AM

All that makes the application to be very bad. Many thanks

Well, I guess it's a matter of opinion. Premium users do get first access to the servers. So an occasional delay is the price we pay for "free". But I've used Avira free for several years now and I've never had to go through the joy of visiting a HijackThis forum or reinstalling Windows due to a nasty virus. For me, that makes the application very good in spite of a little bit of inconvenience.

#5 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 08:08 AM

I get updating but the blue line reaches the end (100%) but says that the internet connection failed. I suppose manually I will get the same. Greetings

#6 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:36 AM

Oh, you didn't mention any kind of error messages in your first post.

I've gone to the Avira Forum and looked around. Here's some things you can try which might help since we don't know exactly how you have your Avira set up.

Moosie, if it is the internet connection failed message, you could try updating at a later time at night, German time when the servers are less busy. I find trying the update around 10PM or so (eastern US time), usually works for me.

http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=...;threadID=69415

I usually just give up and try later, so I've never seen that message come up before.
--------

Hi, I downloaded AntiVir Personal, but have not been able to update it since. The message says no internet connection,but this is not true for the PC because I can access the web,e-mails and updates for other applications. ....

please change your udpate settings in the configuration to use no proxy server.
open avira configuration (expert mode) > general > update > web server > proxy ...

[It appears that proxy was not the problem for this user. So they continued on:]

Please try this navigate to your Antivir folder in your programs folder and look for the file Preupd.exe, now click or double click it, do you gain an update? Please note that the extension may be hidden, so it may appear simply as preupd.

I located preupd.exe , clicked on it, and it DID update !

I am pleased this has worked for you, as a work around you could add the preupd.exe file to your Windows Scheduler, as this works in the same way as Avira`s.

http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=...;threadID=69693

--------------------

Since I installed Avira I cannot update automatically so I have been downloading the ivdf_fusebundle_nt_en.zip from the website and updating manually each day. Here is the log, please can you give me some clues how I can make the automatic update work.

I have tried manually downloading the http://dl1.avgate.net/upd/idx/master.idx file (which Avira says it is having problems with below) and it works fine, so I know there is no connection problem.

Do you use a proxy server, if so please check your update settings in configuration. If not make sure you have selected use existing connection and use windows system settings.

http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=...;threadID=69638

If none of that helps, here's the link for the Free Antivir at their forum:
http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=...amp;boardID=134

You can read and search it without having to register.

I just experimented using the preupd file and I updated. But it took awhile since the servers are busy. I'm not getting my hopes up, but I'm going to try using that from now on to see if it will update the program too; and eliminate the balloon reminder and having to do that through the Avira Control Panel. The last search engine update was June 5th, so it might be awhile before I know.

#7 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2008 - 06:48 PM

I can't find an edit button for my last post, so I'll just update this way. I used the preupd file again today. It now says my search engine is dated 6/19. :thumbsup:

So, it looks like this is a way to get around opening AntiVir's Control Panel and getting the engine updates separate from the virus definition updates. I still got the usual nag to buy it during the update, but here was no balloon at the systray icon to check for updates to the search engine too.

Wow! Now I've got an edit button for this post.

I found some further information at the AntiVir forum. Engine updates and product updates are two different things. I've now set AntiVir to check and install the product updates automatically. Maybe one day I will get the balloon notification, or not. I have no clue at this point. But it seems to me that using the preupd to update AntiVir has eliminated what seemed to be 'false' notifications to manually look for a product update.

Edited by mommabear, 21 June 2008 - 05:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users