Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Automatic Updates

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 trumpetman51

trumpetman51

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 14 June 2008 - 01:27 PM

Hey, everyone, glad to be here...but not happy about why....

Nevertheless, I am sure that I will find the answer here!!

I had to re-install Windows, that is, do a repair of a "previous installation", after which, already knowing that all the windows updates will HAVE to be installed, along comes that "update icon" telling me that Updates are ready to be installed to my computer. So, having been through this before, I proceed to give the go ahead nod, and the process begins but only to result in receiving notification that NO updates have actually been installed. Now, I have checked in "Services" and Automatic Updates is set to Automatic and Started, as is Background Intelligent Transfer Service. As well, in "system properties", Automatic Updates IS set to Automatic.

So...why would this happen? Why would Wimdows continue to try and try again to Auto Update but repeatedly fail to be able to "finish the job"???

By the way, I am talking about Windows XP Professional running on a Intel Celeron 1MHz cpu powered Intel motherboard.

Thanks for reading and if applicable, for responding.

trumpetman51
(John)
"The right direction's all that counts and there's no way for me to get there late!!"

trumpetman51 (John)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 01:48 PM

1. Enable Show Hidden Files and Folders

(http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...002092715262339) or bleeping computer link

2. Delete C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution <=this folder.

3. Download/install the newly released 'standalone' version of Windows
Update Agent 3.0, v7.0.6000.374

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932494

4. Download/install this fix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927891

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932494

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927891

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/...al62.html#winxp

http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windo...Agent30-x86.exe

Edited by garmanma, 14 June 2008 - 01:49 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 trumpetman51

trumpetman51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 08:25 PM

Hello,

First I wanna thank garmanma for replying. Unfortunately, I did everything that was suggested but....no dice!! Still can't update. I don't understand this one at all....this isn't the first time I have had to do a repair install of XP.....however, it is the first time that I have run into this "not being able to do the updates" thing!

Not gonna give up though, not on finding the answer or on this forum...

Never let win-doze WIN....that's my motto.... :thumbsup:
"The right direction's all that counts and there's no way for me to get there late!!"

trumpetman51 (John)

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 08:44 PM

One more thing to try
http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix

Remember to flush software distribution folder
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 trumpetman51

trumpetman51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 01:31 AM

Yeah, about that...flushing the Software Distribution Folder....not so easy to do....there was a problem regarding the "Reporting Events Log.txt"....and not being allowed to delete it or move it.

trumpetman51 (John)

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 15 June 2008 - 06:53 AM

What updates are refusing to instal?
Regards,

Alan.

#7 trumpetman51

trumpetman51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 10:28 AM

What updates are refusing to instal?

Ok, if you are running Windows XP Pro, and you do a "Repair Existing Windows Installation", you will find that there are 95 Critical Updates to be downloaded and installed. That is why I am not going to try to list them here.....lol....

Also, there are several additional software updates that do not come under the heading of "Critical" but are nevertheless important, and there are even 2 Hardware (driver) updates available.

I have pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I am going to have to backup my important documents, pictures, bookmarks, etc, and do a CLEAN INSTALL of Windows in order to get around this problem.

Thanks!!

trumpetman51 (John)

trumpetman51 (John)

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:24 AM

Actually...you could probably just install SP3 (which should have been available as a critical update) and minimize time and effort.

Louis

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 12:26 PM

Good point, Louis
Mark
Posted Image

#10 trumpetman51

trumpetman51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 01:27 PM

Hello all,

You're probably not going to believe this, but yesterday I actually came up with that very same idea.....guess how it turned out........yep, installation failed......

I know, this is a real head scratcher!! I am accumulating scabs on my head!!

:thumbsup:

John

trumpetman51 (John)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users