Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Update Is Freezing Up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jimdigris

jimdigris

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 14 June 2008 - 12:29 PM

The problem is that Windows Update freezes up when I try to use it. When I open the window in the Control Panel (and every other way), the window appears but is blank. On the window taskbar, it says "Searching for items..." Once opened, the window cannot be closed or minimized. I have to use the task manager to stop it. Other applications do not freeze up. Windows firewall is disabled and I use Zone Alarm security suite (including firewall).
The computer is an HP. HP's own update program flagged me and said there are no updates that need to be installed. Could the extra software HP put on my computer be the problem?
HP tech support sent me here. They don't even seem to understand that Windows Update freezes before anything comes up.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yashuafreak

yashuafreak

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:20 AM

My HP is doing the same thing. I just got it last week and it freezes up when I try to use windows update. A blank window frame opens and it is trying to load, but never does (sometimes after hours it gets a blank white background in the frame). Nothing else seems to have problems, but it slows everything else down. I have not found any solution yet either. It worked a couple times at first and downloaded a bunch of updates, but was very slow and unresposive then also.

#3 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 16 June 2008 - 11:07 PM

Hello yashuafreak,

If you have a problem you would like to discuss, please start your own topic.
This will help to avoid the confusion, of trying to help two or more people, in the same thread, with different problems.
Even if your problem is similar to the original poster's problem, the solution could be totally different due to different hardware, software, system requirements, etc....
This is also known as hijacking a thread, which is not considered to be proper forum etiquette.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#4 jimdigris

jimdigris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 16 June 2008 - 11:20 PM

Yashuafreak's contribution may be useful. It could be an indication of a factory defect. For my part, I think I've gotten about a dozen different sets of suggestions from HP tech support with no luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users