Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Sp2 Home Computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Heartbeat85

Heartbeat85

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 14 June 2008 - 12:18 PM

Hi Guys, My wife has a Dell Dimension Desktop computer she bought back in 04 as a package deal.Since then it had to have a new Motherboard put in.A Biostar was put in it by a Technician.I was trying to get the Linksys USB adapter or whatever it's called I forget, to Connect to my Linksys Wireless-G Broadband router with SpeedBooster ,204 GHz, 802.11g.It is a DSL Connection we have used a long time.Anyway I shut my Router down,ie unplugged it,turned the Modem Embarq 660 Series off, and shutdown the power to my Computer and Monitor.I then turned the Power off her Computer.Not sure about the monitor.I think I left it on.Anyway the past week approximately I have not been able to do a Disc Defrag. on her computer.It says it had 11% free space but needed a minimum of 15%.I told my wife 5-6 times to get rid of a bunch of the You Tube music videos.She gradually removed some.I noticed yesterday before the following happened that her C Disc showed 17% free space.It still would not defragment.It said Chksdk /f. was scheduled to run.I could not reboot it even after trying to set it up under the option you can go to under Right clicking "Properties on the option to recover bad sectors and fix missing files,something to that effect.I would reboot it and it tried to do a Windows Disc check but kept saying it was canceled.Why I do not know .I did run Chkdsk f I think it was through the Command prompt before this and it did remove a corrupted file.But it stated something to the effect that f (fragmentation values I think it was were missing.I know she had a corrupted file a long time because Outlook Express 6.0 would only open up to the first minimized window that always opens but would not go any further.Well to get to the point.I thought some of this background info might be pertinent and it is I guess.I started My Modem back up to get back to where I was talkng about shutting everything down.I then restarted my computer, and powered the router back up then after all was back up I started het computer back up.It will nould not boot up.The Linksys light on the little unit/adapter was and still is not on.The only things it can be done is to press del to get to the Biostar Motherboard option.I click F7 to optimize defaults and F10 to save/exit.It WILL not Boot up at all.The following is the message it shows to the letter:Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM BELOW this it says:You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Set-up CD-ROM select "r"at the first screen to start the repair.After trying to get it to reboot by all options I could try it came up and basically said the Motherboard Settings or CPU had been changed and it was set to the default settings.Why because the drivers etc, are missing I was told which was sort of what I thought.A friend of mine said the whole Windows would have to be set-up again and I was looking at about 6 hours work.I have tried her original Dell Windows setup disc to put in ServicePack 1A and the Biostar Drivers Disc,and every other disc nearly that came with the Computer.It would and will right now NOT do a thing.Nothing,0,zilche.I tried the Dell Resources CD.Everything.Even some Love One Care One Version 1.5 I think it was where you back up your data to CD.The new 2.0 version wants you to back up to a pc hub network,etc.No disc I tried in top and bottom drive will do nothing.Even the tiny local net disc we used when the system was first setup on dialup.IF there is ANYTHING I can do including re-installing a version of Live One Care 1.5 after it's booted up,that is if it can be booted up, to reload any of her data would somebody help tell me what to do.Is it cheaper to repair or get a new Tower/Computer.This one had 512 memory.I do not know if I cauded the lock up or if it was just overloaded,or had a corruptrd disc/file.It dosen't matter.If anybody can give me any suggestions I would truly appreciate it.I am disabled and will probably have to go the cheapest route.Thanks and God Bless you in advance.Sincerely,Heartbeat85 P.S. I hope I have not totally confused you people.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 14 June 2008 - 12:35 PM

You may want to try and trouble-shoot the boot problem with this article:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...s_winboot_task7
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 Heartbeat85

Heartbeat85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 02:00 PM

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.Heartbeat85

#4 Heartbeat85

Heartbeat85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 10:49 PM

Hey douglas martin, This helped me a lot.I was able to do the repair.I finally got her Computers time synchcronized,my Antirus updated,done a disc cleanup,tried to do a disc defragment but it give a message that it could not be done due to a temporary text file.I forget exactly what it said.The biggest problem I have right now is that her Linksys USB wireless adapter that gets it signal from my Linksks Wireless G Broadband router,2.4.GHz, 802.11 w/speedbooster cannot connect to the internet because of no available wireless connections.If I try to repair it I get the repair could not be completed due to not be able to connect to the Internet.I have retired for tonight but I do not think she lost anything.Her original set-up disc for Service pack 1 a finally took hold after I dissconnected everything except the Monitor,mouse, and keyboard.I then was able to get the process started by booting up with the CD-ROM Option and just followed instructions from there.I will get Embarq tech support and Linksys tech support to help me reset things back up.I have the boxes,installation disc and all documentation for both the router and the adapter.Thanks SOOOOO Much without your help I would have never come this far.I'll be back in touch to let you know how things go from here.The prognosis looks good.God Bless ! Sincerely,Heartbeat85 P.S. I really owe you one my friend.Thanks !

#5 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 15 June 2008 - 08:21 AM

I'm glad that you are making progress...As far as the wireless router and USB adapter are concerned, there should be a step by step instruction (with pictures) for configuring the router with the computer. It's been a while but if I remember right you need to install the software for the router first...I think that when I configured my router I had to use a wired connection through the router and modem to get this done. Once the router was configured, I then was able to install the adapter and drivers for it. Like I said it has been a while...Hopefully Linksys can help you sort it out...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#6 Heartbeat85

Heartbeat85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 05:22 PM

Hey fellow, It's took a long time today but I have finally gotten everything back in order with the routers.First I had to work with Linksys by phone and switch to a different channel.11 I think it was.Had to establish an SSID name.However,I had a devil of a time removing the USB Adapter driver for her computer.The Linksys support guy thought it would be a Microsoft issue.I wanted to be sure and by doing a search on the Linksys USB Adapter I found the whole portfolio.It would not let me delete the USB Adapter folder under programs files.It would not uninstall on the all programs menu nor the Add/Remove programs. and by using "GPO Utilities Move On Boot" which you need to get if you go not have it, I was able to remove files it would not let me delete.Files it denied me, an administrator access to.The Move On Boot Version 1.95 is what you want.It's made by Gibinsoft.The Linksys support man wanted me to re-install the drivers.It kept saying the drivers were still installed and would have to be uninstalled.I worked and worked, and then I thought I bet I know where it is, hidden in the advanced options in Registryfix 6.0.Sure enough I opened up Reg. Fix and there it was enabled in the programs.I disabled it )remove it temporarily) and then it let me run the install disc that came with the USB Adapter.From there the biggest problem was getting the WEP Key entered in.There were 5 sets of double zeros each followed by a colon.I finally typed it in right in place over top of the zero's.It still had semi-colons but it worked.I have been able to even run a disk defragmentation finally.She has 16% free space.I told her just now to get some more of them dang videos out.I want to give you a link to a Microsoft Spyware removal program you can use about once a we.It is detailed and thorough.Just be sure you do not do a permanet removal on what it considers Spyware but you might not.You know how some programs are controversial and argued back and forth.Let me know how you like it if you use it.It's just a removal program and you may have to let it load each time before you can run it.But it's an excellent program.AVG took control of it and made it a 24/7 realtime protection program.This you just put on desktop and load it up and run it whenever you want.Here is the download link.You must put into into your address bar not just a Google search or something.I am running Windows XP Home SP2.Here what you enter in the address bar and then hit enter to download it:http://download.ewido.net/ewido_micro or microsoft.exe Let me know how it goes.Thanks again.It's been a pleasure.Sincerely,Heartbeat85

Edited by Heartbeat85, 15 June 2008 - 05:25 PM.

#7 Heartbeat85

Heartbeat85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2008 - 04:30 AM

Hey guy, I thought she might have an Audio problem but I was lucky.I had plugged her speakers into the wrong place..Also if you want a link to get GPO MoveOnBoot Verssion 1.95 let me know.It's a great help with files/folders you cannot get the access privlideges to delete that you should have already had.Have a GREAT day my friend.Thanks,Heartbeat85 Dennis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users