Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics/ Basic Font Problems

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 44guy

44guy

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 14 June 2008 - 11:05 AM

I have the wierdest script font problem on an IBM thinkpad, an older one, in which I installed a replacement disk drive from another IBM thinkpad. The disk worked normally in the other thinkpad before being put in this computer.

Now, although the disk works fine, get only this dopey basic computer type script font on it, on the desktop and everywhere...you know, the computer script where the width of the letters differs...some parts thick, other parts thin.

I tried changing font in the computer and other programs...no way, won't do it. By the way many other fonts are installed and show up as installed, but the computer will not run any of them.

I feel this might have something to do with the graphics card in the computer, but I don't know how to install a different graphics driver into the lap top.

Can anyone help me out> This is Windows 2000 operating system.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 09:00 PM

What model Thinkpad? When you said you swapped hard drives, did you reformat it and reinstall the operating system or use what was on the other hard drive?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 16 June 2008 - 04:18 AM

Taking a hdd with a Windows OS installed on it out of one computer and putting it into another is asking for trouble. There are IDs in the registry that recognize the chipset of the original motherboard, when the hdd sees the IDs for the different chipset it gets confused. This usually will require reinstalling the OS.

For more information on the problem you can read this article.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 44guy

44guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2008 - 02:03 PM

No, I just swapped it out and left everything on the disk. It works fine, except for the font problem.

Additionally, I previously had windows 98 on the old disk I removed and it was having the same font problem.

It must have something to do with the other components in the computer...I suspect the graphics card.

#5 44guy

44guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2008 - 02:07 PM

h yeah, I forgot. The thinkpads are almost identical. Both have Pentium III processors. They are about six years old; I think the model is t43, but I don't have it here with me.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2008 - 04:18 PM

When you try to change the font, are you logged in as administrator?

Are all of the updates current and all 4 service packs installed?

Edited by garmanma, 16 June 2008 - 04:37 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#7 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 17 June 2008 - 11:20 PM

Sounds like the two systems are using different graphics cards. The drive has the drivers
for the old card which won't work for the new one.
If you can...put the drive back in the old system, boot it up and remove the video drivers.
When it asks to reboot just say no or cancel and shut it down. Put the drive back in the new
system and boot up. It should detect the video card and install the correct driver, or at least
one that is compatible enough to get it going so you can download and install the correct one.
HTH

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#8 44guy

44guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2008 - 06:33 PM

Thanks RAW. Makes sense. The only problem is that the old computer is now deceased, so I can't do what you suggest.

Any site where I can download assorted graphics card drivers????

Any guidance as to how to install a new graphics card on my Thinkpad....not sure where it is. Can I get a plug in graphics driver of any sort? I am surprised Windows doesn't have automatic driver library like it does for printers, for graphics cards.

Thank you.

44 guy

#9 44guy

44guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2008 - 06:38 PM

When you try to change the font, are you logged in as administrator?

Are all of the updates current and all 4 service packs installed?

Yes on both counts. Any ideas on changing the graphics card or if there is a plug in I can install without opening it up?

44 guy

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:20 AM

double-check the model number and post the correct one
Mark
Posted Image

#11 44guy

44guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2008 - 02:40 PM

double-check the model number and post the correct one

the thinkpad ibm which I am now using with the drive from another one, is model T22.

The old one was a newer thinkpad laptop ibm ....I believe a T 43.

44 guy

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 09:47 PM

Install/uninstall directions at the bottom of the pages:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss...cid=MIGR-4JRNJB

For the T43, you need to do a little more homework
Intel chip

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss...ocid=MIGR-62899

ATI chip

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss...ocid=MIGR-61503

Edited by garmanma, 21 June 2008 - 09:51 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users