Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Up To 67 Unexplained Active Internet Connections At Once!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Montana32

Montana32

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 14 June 2008 - 10:51 AM

I have done everything I know how to do to fix my problem, including following some advice from your website but I have had no luck. I hope someone here has a thought or two that may help out.

PROBLEM:
Either immediately upon starting Internet Explorer (or Mozilla Firefox) or after being online for hours, I will notice that all web pages take a long time to load. If I do a speed test on a site like Speakeasy.net, there is no decrease shown in either my upload or download speed. However, if I check on my Self-Healing Internet program from my IP it tells me that I have anywhere from 19 to 67 active internet connections. I have confirmed this information to be accurate by following advice and typing in NETSTAT from the DOS prompt.

SYSTEM:
Acer Aspire AST660 Pentium 4, 1.5 GB memory, 160 GB hard disk. OS Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2. Internet is Rogers Cable Express Hi-Speed (7MBps down, 512 kBps up)

ACTIONS TAKEN/RESULTS:
1) First thing I did was contact Rogers and ask for help to see if it was a problem on their end. It is not. They said the problem could be caused by running peer to peer services, running a server from home and using newsgroups or newsreaders. I do none of those things.
2) Next thing I did was eliminate as many potential problems as possible. I turned off all extra toolbars, closed anything on the Taskbar that wasn't needed, used a program to see the start up processes and using the list on this website I shut off any that were not needed.
3) Then I used a few virus/spyware programs. I ran scans with the most up to date virus definitions using AdAware 2007, Norton Antivirus (which runs 24/7 with a firewall on my computer), Spybot Search & Destroy, housecall.trendmicro.com online scan and lastly Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Most of these programs just found tracking cookies. House Calls found one adware from zedo.com that I deleted. The Anti-Malware program found 2 things and I only deleted one because of some conflicting advice on here about whether or not I should. This is the one I left alone
C:\WINDOWS\system32\KCMDNIns.exe (Trojan.Inject) and this is the one I removed HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs\C:\WINDOWS\system32\KCMDNIns.exe (Trojan.Inject). One note, although it was recommended to me to run my programs in safe mode, the ones I had at that time could not be run in safe mode as they required an internet connection. I will try running the Anti-Malware in safe mode when I am done here.
4) I also did a lot of cleaning up and rearranging. I deleted all the games my 5 year old downloaded from nickjr.com. I ran a scandisk/checkdisk. I defragged my computer.

The list of things I have tried doesn't look that big once I type it up but I have been trying very hard to fix this problem. I have a decent computer knowledge but am not an expert by any means and I am not comfortable fiddling with the Registry because I know little about it.

Any help would be appreciated! I have no idea how all of these connections pop up but it sure is driving me crazy!!

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Montana32

Montana32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 10:47 PM

I have posted this to the "Am I infected with a virus?" thread and have been advised to post a hijack this log. I will do that.

#3 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:35 AM

Hello Montana32,

Since you have a HJT log posted in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, I'm going to close this Topic.

You shouldn't make any changes to your system, while your HJT log is posted, as that could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.
At this point, the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to send me a PM.

Mod Edit: Topic edited to correct speeling mistake ~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 24 June 2008 - 01:38 AM.

Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users