Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Sp2 W/ie6 Users: Prob. W/june Ms Critical Updates?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 14 June 2008 - 10:29 AM

I have XP SP2 with IE6 (used only for Windows Critical Updates) -- and these are the updates that show up for me for June:

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 for Windows XP (KB950759)
Typical download size: 1.9 MB , 6 minutes
Security issues have been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise a system that is running Microsoft Internet Explorer and gain control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Security Update for Windows XP (KB951698)
Typical download size: 619 KB , 3 minutes
A security issue has been identified in Microsoft DirectShow that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP (KB950760)
Download size: 486 KB , 1 minute
Security issues have been identified in ActiveX controls that could allow an attacker to compromise a system that is running Microsoft Internet Explorer and gain control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Security Update for Windows XP (KB950762)
Download size: 546 KB , 1 minute
A security issue has been identified that could allow an unauthenticated, remote attacker to cause the affected system to stop responding. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Security Update for Windows XP (KB951376)
Download size: 591 KB , 2 minutes
A security issue has been identified that could allow an unauthenticated remote attacker to compromise your Microsoft Windows-based system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Has anybody with a similar system/set-up as me had any issues after installing any of these updates?

I did a google search, and saw some problems (I know that there's always isolated incidents), but the biggest one seems to be with KB950759. Looking at the MS page for it, it says:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950759

Non-security-related fixes that are included in this security update

General distribution release (GDR) fixes

Individual updates may not be installed depending on the version of Windows and the version of the affected application. Please view the individual articles to determine your update status.

Article number Article title

931324 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931324/) FIX: Error message when you try to run a Web application that uses the window.external property in Internet Explorer 7: "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close"

949428 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949428/) After a pop-up window opens in Internet Explorer 7, a half-transparent band appears at the top of the new Internet Explorer window

950060 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950060/) Some Web applications that require a large block of contiguous memory may not run after you install cumulative update 931768 (MS07-027) for Windows Internet Explorer 7

951800 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951800/) Some customized Internet Explorer settings revert to their default configurations after you install cumulative update 942615 (MS07-069), 944533 (MS08-010), or 947864 (MS08-024) on a Windows Vista-based computer

Hotfixes
Security update 950759 packages for Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008 include Internet Explorer hotfix files and general distribution release (GDR) files. If no existing Internet Explorer files are from the hotfix environment, security update 950759 installs the GDR files.

Hotfixes are intended to correct only the problems that are described in the Microsoft Knowledge Base articles that are associated with the hotfixes. Apply hotfixes only to systems that are experiencing these specific problems.

These hotfixes may receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next service pack that contains these hotfixes.
For more information about how to install the hotfixes that are included in security update 947864, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

897225 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897225/) How to install hotfixes that are included in cumulative security updates for Internet Explorer

Note: In addition to installing hotfix files, review the Microsoft Knowledge Base article that is associated with the specific hotfix that you have to install to determine the registry modification that is required to enable that specific hotfix.

For more information about how to determine whether your existing Internet Explorer files are from the hotfix or from the GDR environment, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

824994 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824994/) Description of the contents of Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Windows Server 2003 software update packages

So the bit about that it may contain hotfixes that you don't need (and shouldn't install if you don't need them), but there's no way to determine what the hotfixes are that are included, what issues they address, and if you do need them or not.

And if you don't need them, then how do you avoid installing them and still install this supposedly needed update (I guess for the GDR stuff, whatever that is).

Any thoughts/help is appreciated -- thanks!

:thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Alan D

Alan D

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 14 June 2008 - 02:48 PM

I don't understand any of that stuff about hotfixes with regards to KB950759, but for what it's worth, I installed the whole lot (including that one) without any problems.
Windows XP Home SP2; AVG 7.5 Internet Security Suite (AV/AS r.t.p, and firewall); Windows Defender (r.t.p on); SuperAntispyware Free; a-squared Free 3.5.0.15; Spybot 1.4 (Immunised, but no Tea-timer); AdAware SE Free; AVG Anti-Rootkit Free; Spywareblaster; MVPS Hosts file (with HostsMan); McAfee Site Advisor.

#3 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:41 AM

I don't understand any of that stuff about hotfixes with regards to KB950759, but for what it's worth, I installed the whole lot (including that one) without any problems.

Thanks, Alan. That's really mainly what I wanted to know! :thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users