Sounds like the keyboard layout got mixed up between UK and Ireland with the US layouthttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout
Instructions for Windows XP
1. Click Start and then Control Panel
2. In Control Panel, if you are in Category View, click on Switch to Classic View (top left corner)
3. Open Regional and Language Options.
4. Click on the Languages tab.
5. Under Text services and input languages, click on the Details button.
6. Under Installed services, click Add.
7. In the Add Input Language dialog box, choose the input language and keyboard layout or Input Method Editor (IME) you want to add.
8. Click OK twice. You should now see a language indicator in the System Tray (located at bottom right hand corner of the desktop by default). You can switch between different input languages (= keyboard languages) by pressing the Alt + Shift keys
why won't my laptop work?
Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time aroundDo not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook