Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dns

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mpdca

mpdca

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 14 June 2008 - 04:42 AM

I am trying to connect to a secure WIFI. I have the code key. Something is still not right. An error message says that I do not have a correct IP address. So I went to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), I inserted an IP address, subnet mask and default gateway. I do not have a DNS to insert. My activity monitor says I send packets but do not receive any. Is this a problem with DNS? How do I find one? It would be great if I could access this wifi connection.

I was able to access an unsecured site and both send and receive packets. This unsecured site is no good to me because it sells the connection. I am in France and where I am staying has WIFI but no one who understands it!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 14 June 2008 - 09:21 PM

Did it have "Obtain an IP Address Automatically" selected before you put IPs in? If it was just empty, you might want to move it back to that.

#3 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 15 June 2008 - 06:39 AM

The site you get may require you to login in order to pass through. Have you asked the person who supplied the code what the process involves?
Regards,

Alan.

#4 mpdca

mpdca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 15 June 2008 - 10:04 AM

Did it have "Obtain an IP Address Automatically" selected before you put IPs in? If it was just empty, you might want to move it back to that.

Yes it did. And that is when I receved the message that the IP was not recognized. Somehow, I have an IP address--do not remember how that came about... With it on automatic, I get the notice limited connectivity. I think the problem is the DNS server because I have no idea what DNS is (I did try to look it up but was more confused by definition). Any idea of how I find a DNS server? When I put in the IP address, the Obtain DNS automatically is chnaged so that i should put something in.

Is IP address the address of my computer or of the network?

Thanks for any help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users