Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have I Found A Fix?!?!?!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 w0lfm4n

w0lfm4n

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 14 June 2008 - 03:36 AM

Ok... here goes.
My comp hasn't got a boot.ini. I have no idea why. Secondhand pc's, anyways. When I start up, there is a message saying "invalid boot.ini starting from windows" or something. There is a boot.ini.backup This is what is inside it...
[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Is it possible for me to paste it into a notepad, name it boot.ini and save it to windows directory?

And speaking of /fastdetect. If that was removed... would it stop it searchin the fast track ide when I start up? It searches, then tells me there is no drives attatche, and bios isn't loaded.
How can I stop that?
Any suggestions would be spectacular, and would solve a 4 day migraine.
Thanx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 14 June 2008 - 06:37 AM

It's safer to rebuild boot.ini from the Recovery Console by using the command "bootcfg /rebuild"

But, you can try the boot.ini that you've found as long as you're sure that the C: drive is "partition (1)" on your first hard drive.

Boot.ini switches: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963892.aspx
More about boot.ini: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022
Even more about boot.ini: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/102873
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 w0lfm4n

w0lfm4n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 06:39 AM

Ya, there is definitely no other partion on this pc. Would you know about how to turn that fast track thing off by any chance too please?

#4 w0lfm4n

w0lfm4n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 06:43 AM

If I don't reply in this post within a day... you know that it didn't work, and I am in deep bleepe :\
*crosses fingers* and thanx

#5 w0lfm4n

w0lfm4n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 06:55 AM

Ok... it still says same error... thats bad news :thumbsup: good news is... it didnt STOP me from booting up :flowers:
I paste it into c:\windows yes. so boot.ini is IN windows? I don't put it into another folder?
I have saved you rc, and put it to disc... using nero... but it won't let me burn it as a bootable cd or dvd. It searches for a image then...
Please stay and touch and help me with through this. I am not a total illiterate.. I do know my way round.. :trumpet:

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 14 June 2008 - 07:33 AM

C:\Windows\boot.ini is (I believe) malware related.
C:\boot.ini is the correct location.

I suspect that you're still infected, so I'll move this over to the Am I Infected forum....
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 w0lfm4n

w0lfm4n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 02:06 AM

Was pretty pointless moving me here, considering I was already here... boopme got me to do a malware scan, come up nothing. And...

I paste it into c:\windows yes. so boot.ini is IN windows? I don't put it into another folder?

I asked if I pasted the boot.ini there. It wasn't put there by anything, anyone... other than me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users