Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot.ini, Bios, Raid/scsi Trouble

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 w0lfm4n

w0lfm4n

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 05:42 PM

Hey guys,
I bought a second hand pc, and pretty much riddled with stuff that I am not sure of. When I start up, i see fastrack bios, then see "scanning IDE" and such, and then it tells me "no drives attatchedto fastrack ide" so it can't load bios! Then i see "invalid boot.ini, booting from c:\windows\" Then comp starts up, and then I see Virtual SCSI Driver not detected. Two things always popup as new hardware. One is multimedia audio controller, and the other is raid controller. I can't find any drivers for them. In device manager, there are two yellow questions (the same as the two that popup), and a red "SCSI/ raid host controlloer" I update driver for that, and then it tells me there was a error dduring the installation of this device. The specified service does not exist as an installed service.
In my bios, my dvd is on the secondary IDE slave, and the secondary master is epty. Shouldn't it be the other way around?
I have had to install new soundcard to get sound, but the onboard sound doesn't work as it can't find the multimedia audio controller, because I can't it lets me know ALL the time.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,855 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 07:48 PM

Clean install is what I suggest :thumbsup:...I could explain all those things you mentioned...but you probably still would not understand the origin of them or what they were intended to do.

As a general rule, IMO...the first thing you should do when acquiring a system that is other than new...is delete everything on it and start clean and fresh with your own files, not someone else's mysteries.

Malware which is passed down from one person to another, unsuspectingly...is not what a system should be. I don't know if this system contains malware...but, then again, neither do you.

Why take the chance?

Louis

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:19 PM

You need to also get the Motherboard info. Manufacturer and such, so you can get the proper drivers.

Here is a link to a neat program that you should run, before erasing the disk.

http://blog.freedownloadscenter.com/2006/1...n-display-tool/

Run this and it will also create a report that you can save and refer back to.

Good luck.

DR

#4 w0lfm4n

w0lfm4n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:23 PM

Thanx rigacci. I found the multimedia audio controller. But I still have that raid/ scsi host controller problem. it goes to install, then says there was a error, and that it is not a installed service? but if that is why, y am I getting the raid controller comin up as a yellow question mark? Any help would be great

#5 w0lfm4n

w0lfm4n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:25 PM

Is that programme, the same as aida32 and such? if so, I have that programme

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,855 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 10:26 AM

OK...tell us what the motherboard manufacturer and model is.

You want to know about RAID?

Simply put, RAID is a system configuration that allows certain functions involving a number of hard drives. One RAID configuration allows 2 drives to function as one, with a debatable increase in access time for files. Another commonly used configuration provides for duplication of system files/folders onto another set of hard drives working together.

Basics of RAID - http://ezinearticles.com/?Basics-of-RAID&id=11919

RAID Your Guide - http://www.pcmech.com/show/optimize/296/

RAIDs can be set up using onboard controllers (many boards come this way) or it can also be enabled by using a PCI RAID controller card, which allows the user to attach more hard drives to the system without connecting directly to the motherboard.

Fastrack is a series of controller cards manufactured by Promise, which provide such capability as I last mentioned.

RAID controllers are (technically incorrectly) picked up on some BIOSes (for boot purposes) as SCSI devices, which is an entirely different line of explanations.

A RAID controller card has a separate BIOS. When installed on a system, the system BIOS shows first, then the RAID BIOS shows. If no drives are attached to the RAID controller, no drives will be reflected onscreen and a message will appear saying that the BIOS is not activated because no drives are attached. This is perfectly normal.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 14 June 2008 - 10:29 AM.

#7 w0lfm4n

w0lfm4n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 07:29 AM

it is a asus P4P800-E.
The only problem I have left is when I boot up, it scans ide... then tells me no drives attached to fast track, bios not installed.
Then it starts up, i get 'found new hardware' scsi/raid host controller. It finds the drivers, then says

An error occurred during the installation of this device. The specified device does not exist as an installed service

Then, finds new hardware I get "Raid controller" and I cannot find any driver at all for it. So it sidts yellow question marked, with a exlamation point in my device manager and scsi/ raid host controller with just a exlamation mark.
How can I fix these please?
In my bios, my dvd is on the secondary IDE slave, and the secondary master is empty. Shouldn't it be the other way around? If so... how can I change it. Thanx

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:16 AM

Did you setup in the BIOS for a Raid array? Try going back to Default settings
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 w0lfm4n

w0lfm4n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 07:27 PM

I didn't set them up... second hand pc. How do I go back to default?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,855 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:17 PM

When you go into your BIOS...there will be a list telling you how to change things, usually to the right and down.

One of the options generally given on key pages...says something like "Use Default Settings". Use the proper key to elect that, and then press F10 to save the changes. The system will automatically reboot.

How to get into your computer's BIOS - http://www.cyberwalker.net/faqs/reinstall-...enter-BIOS.html

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 15 June 2008 - 09:18 PM.

#11 w0lfm4n

w0lfm4n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 10:40 PM

In my bios, my dvd is on the secondary IDE slave, and the secondary master is empty. Shouldn't it be the other way around? If I set to default... will that fix that upto?

#12 w0lfm4n

w0lfm4n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2008 - 01:06 AM

I just reset to default... but it is still loading up scanning ide... and then tells me no drives attached to it, so no bios installed still. My motherboard is a asus 4p4800-E. I can't download the latest bios from http://support.asus.com/download/download....P800-E%20Deluxe that site, as it tells me that it is the wrong chipset... any other alternatives please?

my dvd is on the secondary IDE slave, and the secondary master is empty. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

I found the fix for that. It just involved moving a switch bit lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users