Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen Resolution Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 innocentman

innocentman

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 04:25 PM

Hey guys,
I had just recently formatted my computer (had to get rid of Vista) and installed XP MCE. I am using a 32" HDTV as my monitor, and changed the resolution on my computer to a wide screen resolution using Media Center. All seemed to be working well, until i closed my Media center. Now all that shows up is "no input" after windows loads. Any help in fixing this problem would be greatly appruciated.

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 05:49 PM

Hi, can you boot into safe mode? Press f8 on boot up and once in reset your video settings.
MCP
MSDST

#3 innocentman

innocentman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 06:54 PM

Tried it, it still didnt' work, i set it to 800x600 (which is what windows installed as) applyed it (the screen sized changed, it was one smaller on safe mode) rebooted, and still no signal :thumbsup:

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 14 June 2008 - 06:08 AM

Have you checked to be sure that the TV isn't defaulting to another input? Most newer TV's will have 3 or more different inputs - and many will default to the cable input when they aren't told differently (I've got a 32" Sharp that I use at home).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 innocentman

innocentman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 11:12 PM

Yeah, i have 6 inputs, and i've made sure that its on the PC input, i see the bios, and the screen that shows windows is loading, but, as soon as its done loading, and it goes to bring up the desktop, i lose all visuals of windows. If i boot in safe mode, however, it works...

#6 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 11:50 PM

try doing a system restore
go back when things were good
choose a restore point that was working good

providing you have restore points

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 15 June 2008 - 06:23 AM

The key here (IMO) is that it works in Safe Mode, but not in normal mode.
Safe Mode doesn't load all the drivers that normal mode does - so it's likely to be an issue with one of the drivers that doesn't load in Safe Mode.

The most likely source of the problem would be your video drivers (since the video doesn't work). I'd suggest uninstalling your video drivers in Device Manager, then uninstalling any associated video driver software in Control Panel...Add/Remove programs.

Then see if it'll boot into normal mode on your TV (don't let Windows install any drivers if it asks). If it does, then you've confirmed the video drivers as the cause. Then visit the website of the manufacturer of your video chipset and download the driver from there. If asked to install any "extra" features - decline that.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 innocentman

innocentman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 10:33 PM

The key here (IMO) is that it works in Safe Mode, but not in normal mode.
Safe Mode doesn't load all the drivers that normal mode does - so it's likely to be an issue with one of the drivers that doesn't load in Safe Mode.

The most likely source of the problem would be your video drivers (since the video doesn't work). I'd suggest uninstalling your video drivers in Device Manager, then uninstalling any associated video driver software in Control Panel...Add/Remove programs.

Then see if it'll boot into normal mode on your TV (don't let Windows install any drivers if it asks). If it does, then you've confirmed the video drivers as the cause. Then visit the website of the manufacturer of your video chipset and download the driver from there. If asked to install any "extra" features - decline that.

Thanks, it worked after i removed the video driver. I have another problem now though, regarding my wireless, but, i'll start another topic about it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users