Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Add-on Problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tristenkw5

tristenkw5

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 04:02 PM

Whenever I try to open firefox a box opens three times telling me something failed in the installation of "Chrome Registration". I think it's related to my laptop's automatically installed "Thinkfree" software trying to install a add-on in my firefox. But when I look at my list of Add-ons, it says I must restart firefox to install it, but it gives me no option to just uninstall it. So now that box pops up. Any help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 07:18 PM

tristenkw5,

Chrome Registration failed

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Chrome...stration+failed

tork

#3 tristenkw5

tristenkw5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 08:49 PM

That seems to be exactly what I need! But....I can't see the article. Nothing but a pretty much blank page comes up with stuff that should be around the article. I tried it in both Firefox and Internet Explorer.

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 11:01 PM

I'm not sure what Thinkfree would have to do with Firefoxes Add-Ons, but have you tried viewing the above article in Safe Mode?

This should not be confused with restarting the computer in Windows Safe Mode.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 tristenkw5

tristenkw5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 01:30 AM

No, the page still doesn't work in Safe Mode. I don't think it's my browser or computer, it's something with the site. And thank you for correcting me, I meant ThinkPAD, as in the brand of laptops. And the software that comes pre-installed on it is called ThinkVantage.

#6 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 14 June 2008 - 06:35 AM

tristenkw5,

Something was obviously wrong on the site, but this morning the page is up just like when I posted and checked the link yesterday. Nothing more frustrating than a link with an answer that doesn't work :flowers: Here's the information from the above referenced link:

"Chrome registration is something each Firefox add-on must do to work in Firefox. While some add-ons come with the appropriate chrome.manifest file, other add-ons rely on chrome.manifest being automatically generated when you start Firefox.

Chrome registration failure can occur when an add-on has come bundled with Firefox and you don't have system rights to edit files where Firefox is installed. (Thus chrome.manifest cannot be generated.)

To prevent this error from happening again, you need your system administrator to log on with an administrator account, and run Firefox at least once.

If that isn't an option, you can disable the offending add-on.

Firefox 3:
At the top of the Firefox window, click the Tools menu, and select Add-ons.
The Add-ons window will open. In the Add-ons window, click the Extensions panel.
A list of installed extensions will be displayed. If you see any extension that you did not install yourself, select it, and click on Disable.
Above the list of extensions, click Restart Firefox.
If the error still occurs, try disabling a different extension.

Firefox 2:
At the top of the Firefox window, click the Tools menu, and select Add-ons.
The Add-ons window will open. In the Add-ons window, click the Extensions icon.
A list of installed extensions will be displayed. If you see any extension that you did not install yourself, select it, and click on Disable.
From the menu at the top of the Firefox windowbar, select FileFirefox and then select the ExitQuit FirefoxQuit menu item.
Start Firefox.
If the error still occurs, try disabling a different extension.

Extensions known to cause chrome registration failure
ThinkVantage Password Manager (bundled with Firefox in Lenovo Thinkpads) "

tork :thumbsup:

Edited by tork, 14 June 2008 - 06:55 AM.

#7 tristenkw5

tristenkw5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 10:43 AM

Thank you very much but.....I kinda figured out that I needed to disable the darn add-on in first place. :thumbsup: My problem is the disable button for that add-on is....disabled! It won't let me click it, as if it's not an option. And there's only one account on my laptop, which is the adminstrative account, so that's not the problem either. :flowers:

#8 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 14 June 2008 - 11:24 AM

Sounds like the Add-On is Locked.

Follow the Troubleshooting instructions in the article Uninstalling Add-Ons.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users