Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Stops Working After About 10 Minutes.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MrsDisel

MrsDisel

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:17 PM

This computer stopped working after something happened to it and my brother-in-law had to fix it. I never really knew what happened to it. After it was fixed, the internet would only stay on for a lil while, usually about 10 minutes, and then stops working. The only way to get it working again would be to restart the computer. We have DSL through Verizon, there seems to be no problem with the modem or anything, I think its just something with the comuter itself. I know other computers will run the internet perfectly through the same line, just this computer messes up.

Help

Oh we have windows 98

Edited by MrsDisel, 13 June 2008 - 02:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 09:50 AM

I know other computers will run the internet perfectly through the same line, just this computer messes up.

Does that mean that you are using a router? Is this a wireless or hard-wired connection?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 MrsDisel

MrsDisel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 06:28 PM

Its Verizon DSL. The Modem is seperate. We've hooked up a different computer to the modem, and the internet works just fine. Its just when you hook up this computer the internet only works for about 10 minutes of so.

#4 desinet1

desinet1

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:10 AM

I know other computers will run the internet perfectly through the same line, just this computer messes up.

Did you check it up ?

#5 coyote

coyote

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 05:55 PM

I had this problem recently.
My modem is connected by a USB cable.
The problem went away after I swapped the USB connections for the keyboard and modem.
Could have been dirty connections I guess.
Turn off the computer before unplugging the modem, mine doesn't like that at all LOL
Good luck, Coyote

#6 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:48 PM

This might fix it. Although it says for XP Only at Snapfiles, inside the "About" for the tool it says it's compatible with 95 through XP. It can make a backup too, or make your own registry backup before trying it. I've used it a couple of times in the past on XP and I'm 95% sure on Me too. The "About" dialog also shows how to manual fix the WinSock.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

It doesn't install. Just download it and click on it to run it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users