Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Kind Of Hack Could Cause This?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 terra220

terra220

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:10 PM

I manage a domain. I had been receiving spam on an email account I had created. So I deleted the account. I confirmed this deletion by trying to login on the mail client, which failed, (this would be correct, as I deleted the account). I have no default email account set up for the domain, so any incoming to this account should be deleted.

BUT

If i send an email to this deleted account, I receive the email at my main account, (it was initially set up to be forwarded to my main email account.)

How can this email account be functioning, and receiving email, and forwarding, if it is deleted? Does this mean it is being mirrored somewhere, as in a hack?

Also, I have been having major issues with others not receiving my email from my main account. This also seems to speak of some sort of hack, interrupting the sending of my mail.

Please advise.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 14 June 2008 - 11:05 PM

On my server all unrouted is automatically sent to the main account.
If the user exists they get the mail, if not I get it. My mail configuration offers
to send unrouted mail to -blackhole- which means the server just deletes it.
If you are using CPanel look here:
http://www.12wonderhosting.com/blackholebounce.html

Also I don't recommend using the 'bounce' option.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users