Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cmos Checksum Error?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bowserjoe

Bowserjoe

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 01:35 PM

I wasn't sure which forum section this should go in because I don't know what causes this error, but I assumed it's a hardware problem. Anyway, I just recently purchased an ATI Radeon HD 2600XT with 512 MB. I wasn't just upgrading though, it was because my old video card was shot. My computer is built by Planet Computers which is now out of business but it's a gaming comp similar to Alienware. Anyway, I thought this looked like a really good card to get. Last night I put it in, and sure enough the new video card works, but there seems to be a different problem. WHen I start up my comp, after 2-3 seconds I get the usual single beep that's supposed to be there, (which I didn't get with the old video card). But then right after the Planet Computers logo came up I got a series of 6 beeps, and then this error message:

-----------------------------------------------------
CMOS Checksum error - Defaults loaded

***Warning: Your Computer CHIP Fan Fail or speed too low***
You can also disable this message in setup.

The choices were press F1 to continue or press Del to enter setup. I tried hitting F1 just to see what would happen. Then I immediately got this message:

NTLDR is missing, Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.

That's as far as I got. Any help would be much appreciated.

EDIT: By the way, I have an Asus A8N-E motherboard, and an AMD Athlon 64 processor. I'm not sure of the processor speed though.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Edited by Bowserjoe, 13 June 2008 - 01:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 eLenka

eLenka

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 01:48 PM

Hi,
Try to replace battery on motherboard..

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:12 PM

Such notifications usually pop up when the CMOS battery in a system is failing, http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/booterrGBER08-c.html

The cure is simply to replace it, CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp

You don't have to write all your settings...maybe at one time that was necessary, but today it is not. Replacing the battery will reset to the default settings in the BIOS, the ones most likely to allow the system to boot.

Louis

#4 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:17 PM

Do as they said and clear the CMOS by removing the silver coin-like battery on the motherboard and put it back.

But for NTLDR, thats main boot file :thumbsup:

You could try loading a Windows XP disk and do a quick repair install and that should do the trick.

(Good luck with your HD 2600XT Im getting one my self when ever I get the money to build my computer >_>)
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#5 Bowserjoe

Bowserjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:26 PM

Thanks for the answers. I know the battery isn't dead because it's brand new. What happened is a couple of weeks ago I first thought the problem was the motherboard battery, so I replaced it. Then I realized it was the graphics card but I kept the new battery in there anyway. I'll try putting the old one back i, and if it doesn't work then I'll try to investigate my CPU a little further. I hope it can handle such a powerful graphics card!

#6 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:36 PM

We are not saying the battery is dead.

The battery is whats keeping the CMOS chksums in it. If you remove the battery it will clear them. You can put the same battery back in.

Tell us how this works. :thumbsup:

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 13 June 2008 - 02:37 PM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#7 Bowserjoe

Bowserjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 03:05 PM

Ok, sorry to tell you this...both batteries work fine, but I tried removing and resetting both of them and nothing changed, I still get the same message. That gives me the feeling the there may really be a problem with the CPU fan, like the message implied. ALthough I also tried removing the fan from the CPU and cleaning off all the dust and that didn't do anything either. In fact, after cleaning the fan and then turning it back on, I got 12 beeps instead of 6, and the error message TWICE, one right under the other. Also I NEVER got that message about the fan problem until I put this new card in. Of course I don't know if that's the problem but I'm assuming maybe the fan can't spin fast enough for how powerful the card is? None of this makes any sense to me lol but I appreciate all the help. I'll look into a new CPU fan if I can't figure it out.

#8 Bowserjoe

Bowserjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 04:43 PM

Ok I was mistaking. It was the Chipset fan, not the CPU fan. I cleaned the dust out of the chipset fan, and now they both spin fine and there's no more error code about a fan. However I'm still getting the CMOS error code so I'm currently trying one last time to reset the battery. I'm leaving it out for about 20 minutes. If that doesn't work though, I'm going to try backing up my hard drive and re-installing Windows, because that second error message I got that said "NTLDR is missing", means a Windows problem. There are instructions on how to repair NTLDR but I saw a warning to back up all important content before doing that.

So I dont really have anymore questions at this moment, unless anyone has anything they want to tell me. I'll let you all know how it works out.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 05:32 PM

My experience is...when CMOS batteries go bad...Windows does wacky things.

I would never rule out a bad CMOS battery...just because I bought it last week, yesterday, or whatever.

There are RMAs of computer equipment that happen every day...which negate that type of thinking.

CMOS checksum errors only bring two things to my mind: the CMOS battery and/or a bad BIOS. I've not experienced a bad BIOS yet.

Louis

#10 eLenka

eLenka

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:48 AM

May be problem in your MB, battery circuit broken..

Edited by eLenka, 16 June 2008 - 07:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users