Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Update To Sp2 Please Read On

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 williamvincent

williamvincent

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 10:53 AM

hi to all
please can some give me some advice. my computer has not been consistently connected to the internet over the past few years and i now find that i am on XP PRO SP1.

i am trying to update to SP2 however:
i go and click on windows update button and i am taken through to the website where i am told i need file KB892130 windows genuine advantage validation tool in order to proceed.
i download the mentioned file only to be told time and again the file has failed to download and i can go no further with windows. so iam unable to update to SP2

however after doing search on my computer i find the following 3 files already on my computer under file kb892130

c:/windows/software distribution/download/65ca1b7ac8fe8237eb48d1b7f5197751/update file type security catalog date 11/10/07

c:/windows/software distribution/download/a49d784415582d2f98c84cb0a75d898/update file type security catalog date 20/03/08

document and settings/dawn/recent file type shortcut date 13/06/08

is my computer confused?

one thing to note is that i have had to do a major clean up due to being hacked with all sorts of nastys trojans malware ect ect (managed to clean up system thanks to help fron BOOPME)

can anyone shed some light on this? please or advise me on getting SP2 from another location and not direct from windows
many thanks
bill

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 11:24 AM

Try and install the stand alone version instead of using windows update. Don't worry about the title concerning "For IT Professionals". This is how I originally loaded SP2...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en

This will take some time to download...Depending on your connection...

Edited by douglas martin, 13 June 2008 - 11:27 AM.

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 williamvincent

williamvincent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 01:13 PM

cheers douglas
did you encounter any problems loading it this way?
cheers
bill

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 01:19 PM

None whatever...It just took a little longer to download....If you are having problems using the update method I would definately give this a try. Once it is saved to your C: drive or My Documents or where ever just open it and run the installer...After it is successfully installed and working properly you can delete this folder from the place that you saved it...Save some space on your drive...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#5 williamvincent

williamvincent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 01:38 PM

hi douglas
just downloaded so i am off to update my computer. will let you know the outcome
regards
bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users