Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Error. But....

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Pacifist

Pacifist

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:41 AM

I'm having an issue with a computer I built somewhat recently. There were a lot of part replacements and it came out to be an E6750, Asus P5K-E Mobo, 4x1 GB Crucial DDR2, nVidia Geforce 8800 GTX 768 MB and a 500 Seagate HD.

Shortly after building this box, it began to have issues. It would randomly blue screen and reset before I had time to read the error message. I built this computer for gaming, and WoW is one of the games I play in my spare time. One day while playing, the game crashed and gave me an error message (rare). Upon restarting the game, it told me that it was missing or had a corrupt file. Following the steps, I eventually downloaded a file recovery scanner from Blizzard. I figured this was sufficient for this error, as it was supposed to repair the file. To my dismay, upon running it, it told me that WoW, as a whole, was too corrupt and needed to be reinstalled. Upon attempting to reinstall from the CDs that came in the box, it would give me error messages at random points during the install and end the installation. Now, the CDs are rarely used and in almost perfect condition. Upon attempting installing the game on my laptop, the install went smoothly and I ran into no errors. Yet, my desktop was corrupting the files while the install was being performed.

From there, things went really downhill. The blue screen/restarts increased in frequency. Then came the final blow. My computer started presenting a boot error, saying that a file was missing or corrupt. The location was (approximately, I'm not there to look at the error message currently) C:\Windows\Config\Windows32\System. I looked at the thread about boot error fixes before posting here, and I have run Recovery console to do checkdisk innumerable times. Sometimes it fixes it. Sometimes it freezes. Regardless, the file will recorrupt itself eventually. So, after pulling my data off and backing it up, I wiped the drive clean and reinstalled XP.

The same error has presented itself without installing anything on it.

Does this mean it is a hardware confliction of some sort? I'm at a loss as of what to do. Any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:51 AM

I think a diagnostic of the HD is merited. Might as well start with the simple things first.

If I had issues with a system shortly after putting it together, I would suspect hardware.

Louis

#3 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:55 AM

I would re-start the computer, tapping F8, and select disable automatic restart upon system failure...That may allow you to see what the errors are and diagnose it from there...May be hardware...May be goofy drivers....
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#4 Pacifist

Pacifist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 10:00 AM

How would I go about checking the HD?

As far as drivers go, I didn't still any after we wiped and reinstalled XP. Though the graphics card and sound card are attached, it is running off onboard vid and sound currently.

#5 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 10:14 AM

Download the diagnostic tool from here. You may need a floppy drive for this but you may be able to burn a CD, not sure...

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools

As far as drivers are concerned, you may want to try and re-install the original drivers and see what happens...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 01:34 PM

...if you have onboard video and sound working, but have separate cards installed...you probably want to disable the onboard functions via the BIOS (assuming that you don't want to use the onboard functions).

Louis

#7 Pacifist

Pacifist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:23 PM

...if you have onboard video and sound working, but have separate cards installed...you probably want to disable the onboard functions via the BIOS (assuming that you don't want to use the onboard functions).

Louis

Right now, I'm shooting for anything that can get it to run successfully without crashing randomly. I'll be sure to give that a try. I can't touch what drivers I have installed though if I can't even get it to boot to Windows. Before I wiped the HD, everything was running on the latest set of drivers. Since a fresh install with old drivers had the same boot problem as the updated drivers, I'm not sure if they have any bearing.

Now that I think about it, the sound card I have in there was never installed. I was using onboard sound the entire time. It seems highly unlikely to be the core of the problem, but I don't want to leave anything out in case anything comes to mind to anyone reading this.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 05:09 PM

Well...since it's a recent build...you could always start anew...and troubleshoot step-by-step as you install all hardware.

Drivers are also considered hardware issues by some...random blue screens are often driver issues.

And your hardware are not the only items installed with drivers...if you want to see all your drivers, you can download/install the following tility and check the Drivers listed under software. Quite a few items and any one may be responsible for systems going awry.

SIW System Information for Windows - http://www.gtopala.com/

Louis

#9 Pacifist

Pacifist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 10:51 PM

That's the thing. I was planning on just starting over with some saved data, but it goes to the corruption boot error with me really installing drivers for any hardware at all. I'm not sure what to troubleshoot. If it's screwing up right from the start, should I assume a driver that comes initially with the hardware is causing Windows to corrupt itself in some way? And if so, how in the world am I going to work around it ><. I don't really have the money to just make a new box.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 06:29 AM

What are the differences between how you installed XP and this article: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 Pacifist

Pacifist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2008 - 09:40 AM

What are the differences between how you installed XP and this article: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Pretty much identical from what I can see. It was a clean drive with no partitions and I followed the installation steps as he listed them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users