Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antec Tower With Amd Processor

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 08:57 AM

A former student brought me her computer tower and apparently in the process of moving the tower must have been jarred (it was packed in good packing material!) The processor was knocked loose from its mount. The inside of the case was like most cases in that it was slightly dirty. I used a aerosol can of air and blew everything clean. The processor was still mounted to the fan but I'm afraid that where it mounts and lock down onto the motherboard that it looks like there is something that was possibly put on the plate (probably to help it to bond??)

I have been able to secure the processor and it fan back in place and have locked down the arm to lock it in place to the motherboard.

Rather than power it up I have been thinking that maybe I should clean the bottom where it mounts into the processor (I can see where it says AMD suggesting to me that the processor is mounted into the proper pins on the motherboard!)

Please advise on how I should proceed.

Other than that the computer looks fine.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 10:33 AM

The CPU is keyed so that it will only go in one way, if you look at the socket you will notice that at least one of the corners is missing at least one hole in the corner, this will orient you to a proper installation.

The CPU has a metal area in the middle of it, this is the heat spreader. There needs to be a small amount of thermal compound applied between the heat spreader and the heat sink. You will need to clean the surface of both the heat sink and heat spreader before applying the compound, you can use something like a credit card to scrape it clean and the finish with some isopropyl alcohol. You will only need very small amount of the thermal compound, about the size of a small grain of rice. The purpose of the thermal compound it to enhance the thermal convection between the heat spreader and the heat sink creating a molecular bond between the two surfaces. Arctic Silver is one of the most popular brands of thermal compound.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 14 June 2008 - 05:45 AM

dc3

Thanks for your response. You were right on. I cleaned the heat sink and heat spreader and purchased some thermal compound. All is back together and running fine. I sure appreciate your assistance.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 14 June 2008 - 08:53 AM

Glad that I could help. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users