Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Maxtor

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 06:15 AM

My External HD was discconected from USB, for moving some wires around, reconnected and is is clicking and making sounds like and old clock, I see that computer has found New Hardware, but the disk is not shown in the Computer ?

Can anyone tell me what the problem might be ?

Like did I toast it ?

Edited by Jove, 13 June 2008 - 08:08 AM.

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 10:29 AM

I found the following;

Hard Drive Failure?

On Windows XP, you can check your hard drive for errors by running the CHKDSK utility. Restart your computer and hold down the Ctrl key while it's booting up. When you see the option to start your system in Safe Mode, select it and continue. Click the Start button, then click Run, then type CHKDSK C: /F /R then press Enter. The /R option tells CHKDSK to scan for bad disk sectors, and the /F option means to fix any errors found. (On a Windows 98 system, use the SCANDISK command instead of CHKDSK.)

If CHKDSK offers to "convert lost chains to files", recover lost data, or fix something else, you should accept. (If CHKDSK tries to sell you a cheap Rolex, politely decline the offer.) After CHKDSK finishes, restart your computer normally and see if the dreaded click of doom returns. If so, the drive is most likely damaged, and should be replaced as soon as possible. If you decide to purchase a new computer, see Copying Old Hard Drive to New PC for help with transferring your files.

Can I check the External Drive this way, I am going to try it, but your comments might help.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 01:57 PM

The clicking noise is also referred to as "the click of death"
It's getting ready to fail
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:15 PM

Loose connections may also result in clicking on hard drives...happens to me occasionally when I'm not paying attention to what I'm doing.

Louis

#5 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:15 PM

OK, but When I turned on the HD I could not open the drive, so I guess I ain't gonna, Right !

BTW, wasn't your beard like white ?

Also, Louis,
I did remove the one cable the one that isn't the USB, I had poor lighting at the time and I forced it a little in the wrong position, anything to check, it's a Mad Dog EXT.HD Case

Edited by Jove, 13 June 2008 - 02:17 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 03:52 PM

BTW, wasn't your beard like white ?

:thumbsup: "PAY NO ATTENTION TO THAT MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN" :huh:
That's just a picture I found online. I liked the antenna hat. Might have looked like me 30 years ago, but I was cuter
My wife describes it as dingy yellow
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users