I am using Vista Ultimate x64 Build 6001 SP1.
Intel® Core2 CPU 6700 @ 2.66GHz 2.66 GHz Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB, 1 year old
The behavior described below started suddenly a few days ago.
Some of the symptoms are:
- When I click on System Restore I get (as expected) the dialog box “Windows needs your permission to continue”
I click Continue. Apparently nothing happens.
I repeat the above and I get the message “The System Restore wizard is already running.” However, it is not visible. I run System Restore during reboot. No visible effect.
- Task Manager also remains invisible.
- When I click on “Turn Windows features on and off” the “Windows Features” box is displayed with “Please wait...” but nothing happens.
- Installing msi files and uninstalling do not work. E.g. when trying to uninstall a program, Windows Installer displays "Preparing to install..." and remains so forever. Click Cancel, after 10 min or so “Install server is not responding”.
- Frequently Visual Studio and the Office 2007 programs go in No responding mode and I must reboot.
- When I shut down the computer "Logging off " is displayed until I use the hardware shut down button.
- Chkdsk, Windows Defender, MS Malicious Software Removal Tool, SOPHOS scan found nothing wrong.
- TREND scan found a “Trojan”: the real Serv-U FTP Server, but that’s a known story.
- DSS displayed "Enumerating System Restore Points" but it remained so for more than 30 mins.
- Sfc /scannow doesn’t start. the cursor is blinking on the next line for ever
- Even worse in Safe Mode: Windows Explorer and other programs that work fine in Regular Mode won’t start in Safe Mode. Thus I cannot work in Safe Mode.
- When I try to start from the DVD the Vista background is displayed with the mouse cursor but then nothing.
Thank you very much,
Edited by DanAn, 13 June 2008 - 07:07 AM.