Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Pc - Done What You All Say..

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gravyola

Gravyola

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 04:54 AM

Hey guys,

Just got a friends laptop to fix and, it was full of LimeWire junk. I've got rid of a few cookies and a trojan with Norton and, found nothing with SpyBot & SUPERantispyware. There is no more threats but, the laptop is still really slow on bootup and loading programs. Just incase, here are the specs:

eMachines W340UA.
Windows Media Edition 2003.
512mb RAM.

Is there anything you guys could come up with? I'm just going through what i would usually do, SpyBot & SUPERantispyware. Infact, i just thought it could be Norton Internet Security because that takes alot of RAM doesn't it?? :thumbsup:

Ohwell, if you guys wouldn't mind, i'd like some answers.

Thanks very much,

Josh.
:flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 06:12 AM

Try this link for some tips: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 14 June 2008 - 06:03 PM

Is the CPU use spiking? Maybe go through this procedure.

Appears the most popular problem is with an IDE device reverting to PIO, I just had this problem with my computer the other day, the short story is:

-Go to Device Manager (right-click my computer, select manage, select device manager)
- Expand IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller
- For each IDE Channel, usually Primary and Secondary, right click and select Properties, go to the Advanced Settings tab and look at Current Transfer Mode, if it says PIO then this is probably your problem.

Uninstall the IDE controller, scan for hardware changes, reinstall and check again, it should say DMA or Ultra DMA.

If your IDE channels are already running [Ultra]DMA then this isn't the answer, but a driver issue is likely, check for the latest BIOS and device drivers for your hardware.

#4 samuel3

samuel3

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 14 June 2008 - 06:12 PM

You can try a Disk degrag, this program is alot better then what windows give you, its alot quicker to defrag with.
Can also do some disk clean ups, by going to start>my computer>local disk, and right click>properties>and there it will say disk clean up.

Hope this helps.

http://www.download.com/Auslogics-Disk-Def...cdlPid=10847748

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users