Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"windows Is Restarting The Installation..." And Then Solid Lightblue Screen.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Clowd

Clowd

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:22 AM

Hey guys.

Got a new build here, Pentium extreme edition 965 3.73GHZ, FOXCONN NF4SLI7AA, OCZ SLI-ready ram(2x1gb sticks, dual channel mode), and a 500GB seagate SATA harddrive.

Had a hell of a time getting xp installed in the first place - I tried 3 different cd drives, different ram, and a different video card, and finally what did it was disabling the L2 cache in the BIOS.

Got through the install with no problems(though it seemed to take a lot longer than usual.), but then when the computer restarted, it just went to a black screen. I had to turn it off and turn it back on again, it booted up as usual(But again, took QUITE a while), and it got to a screen that said "Windows is restarting the installation....."

Then it just goes to a light blue screen and stays there. I let it sit there for a good 15 minutes to no avail.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 06:10 AM

Did you load the SATA drivers for your motherboard by pressing F6 early on in the installation process? (or, did you slipstream these drivers into your installation CD?)

If that isn't the issue, then I'd suggest resetting your BIOS to the default values and attempting to install XP again. Please post the exact error that you first get when trying to install it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Clowd

Clowd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 01:27 PM

I did not load the SATA drivers this time. I tried that during some of the original installation attempts to see if it was the problem, and it wasn't - the errors varied, but usually it was either an IRQL not less or equal, or just a stop 0x0000000xx error.

I suppose I will try re-installing with the SATA drivers

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 05:47 AM

It could be the SATA drivers, or it could be another driver. BUT, it could also be a piece of hardware that's incompatible with Windows. Could also be a problem with the installation disk (althought that's less likely than the other stuff).

A STOP 0x0000000A error is the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error. What other STOP errors did you get?
Here's a link to a description of the error: http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x0a
As you can see there, there's many, many things that could be causing this.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Clowd

Clowd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 08:16 PM

Ok so there's no more bluescreen errors(disabling the L2 cache fixed it)

but I went back to reinstall with the F6 drivers, and it just says it cannot copy them. I have tried 3 different XP discs, so that's not the issue... I started the install without the F6 drivers anyway, and right now I am at the "Please wait while Setup copies files..." section, it is going soooooo slow, like - it has been stuck on "sprio600.dll" for about 5 minutes now. It goes through various speed bursts and so on, but I have been at it for exactly an hour now and it's only at 31 percent.

Any ideas? Try a new DVD drive?

edit:
New DVD drive helped a bit... it only took an hour to get through the "copying files" part instead of what probably would have been 3 hours.

But now I'm back at the solid light-blue screen problem again.

Edited by Clowd, 14 June 2008 - 09:46 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 06:11 AM

I'm fairly certain that there's a hardware problem that's causing this (although most errors like this seem to come from bad copies of the installation CD's). This is because it shouldn't be necessary to disable the L2 cache in order to install Windows.

Are you using any old hardware with the new build? If so, I'd suggest removing it until you get Windows installed. Beyond that, I'd have to suggest a "hardware stripdown" to help troubleshoot these issues: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/70216/hardware-troubleshooting-via-system-stripdown/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users