Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems With Games

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cmdubie

cmdubie

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 01:19 AM

I am using Windows Vista Ultimate (currently) and am having problems with the games that came with he operating system (Free Cell, Mahjong, Solitaire, Spider Solitaire, Purble Place, Chess Titans, Hearts. . .basically all of them). I will explain what happens with Free Cell since I play it most often.

The most noticable problem is that the card directly to the left of the cursor will highlight and blink. I can still highlight and select the cards I want but the left card flicker is annoying. The second most noticable problem is the drop down menus. Whenever I select the File drop down menu, the menu flickers very rapidly, almost to the point where you cannot read it or select any of the options. Lastly, whenever the windows pop up at the end of a game, the mouse will not interact with any of the buttons. I have to hover the mouse over the button I want to select, left click to highlight it, and hit the enter key to actually select it.

Also, in Solitaire and Hearts, there are "interactive" areas (the top of the draw deck in Solitaire, the pass button in Hearts) that are very picky about where they need to be clicked in order to function.

All game windows will "vibrate" and not move when an attempt is made to click and drag the window.

Chess Titans and Mahjong Titans are pretty much unplayable due to lack of interaction with the mouse and pieces/tiles.

When I first installed Vista Home Premium I did not have any issues. I believe it started with a driver update from Microsoft although I'm not 100% sure. I tried to uninstall and reinstall the drivers to no avail. I even tried to reinstall Vista which didn't work due to Vista not actually doing anything useful when you tell it you want to reinstall. Upon realizing that Vista did not actually delete and reinstall, I decided to take matters into my own hands and used DBAN (Derrick's (I think) Boot and Nuke) to wipe the hard drive. The reinstall after that still yeilded the above glitches with only the first wave of updates completing. I then upgraded to Vista Ultimate with a new motherboard and processor and am still receiving the same glitches.

I believe the problems are linked to the graphics cards (EVGA GeForce 8600 GTS's, SLI mode). I have yet to contact the manufacturer. I thought I would post here and get any opinions or ideas before I did so. Any help or information is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 05:25 AM

Have you installed the drivers for the motherboard/chipset and the video card?
Were they the drivers from the CD that came with the motherboard, or did you download the latest version from the manufacturer's website.
FWIW - I never let Windows Update install device drivers (I've had too many problems) - rather I visit the website of the manufacturer of the hardware component and download the latest version from there.
So, I'd recommend downloading the latest drivers for the motherboard/chipset from the motherboard manufacturer's website, and then I'd download the latest version of your video drivers from here: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 cmdubie

cmdubie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 03:13 AM

I have updated my chipset driver to 16.08 (EVGA nVidia nForce 680i SLI mobo).

I also updated the graphics card driver to 175.16 (EVGA nVidia GeForce 8600 GTS (x2 - SLI)).

Both driver sets were downloaded from www.evga.com.

The problem still persists.

Any other suggestions?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 15 June 2008 - 06:05 AM

I'd suggest unplugging the system and grounding yourself on the metal of the case.
Then, check the fan and connections for your video card (s).
While you're in there, place your hand near (BUT NOT ON!!!) the video card heatsinks - are they very hot?

Then, I'd suggest removing one card and seeing how the system performs.
Then remove that card and put the other one back in to see how it performs.

This'll help you to isolate the problem between the video card(s) and the SLI stuff. Generally, if it's one or the other card that messes up, it's that card's fault, if it's both or none that mess up - then it's likely to be your SLI implementation that's causing it. (I'm not real familiar with SLI, so that's as far as my knowledge goes :huh:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 cmdubie

cmdubie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:04 PM

After years of enduring this issue, through multiple video cards (following the advice of usasma I discovered one of my cards actually was bad and was able to get a new one fromt the manufacturer) and OS's (Vista Home, Vista Ultimate, Seven Ultimate) I finally discovered that it was the USB guitar for the game Guitar Hero. Whenever it was plugged in it would produce the "glitches" listed in the original post. Remove the guitar and voila, fixed.

Go figure.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:15 PM

Thank you for sharing the solution to your issue. :thumbup2:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users